Vendors exhibit their wares on Library Walk this week

The quarterly vendor fair transformed Library Walk into a shopper’s paradise this week.

Lyon Liew

The fair coincided with the first week of classes, and traveling merchants filled the walk with tents and booths.

Vendors lined the western edge of UCSD’s main walkway from Center Hall to Geisel Library.

Student opinion on the vendor fair varied. Some students found the vendors’ items affordable and myriad, but others thought the merchandise was expensive and limited.

Lyon Liew

Marshall junior Eric Lawrence supported the fair.

“”It’s pretty good,”” Lawrence said. “”They’ve got some pretty good deals here.””

However, Marshall junior Andrew Lurker found the vendor fair puzzling.

“”Why is everything so expensive if it’s geared toward students?”” Lurker said. “”I don’t know how some people sell stuff at these things.””

Muir junior Lindsay Shafer felt a similar distaste for the vendor fair and found the items too similar to those of previous fairs.

“”They need to start getting new vendors,”” Shafer said. “”I have no interest in going to the vendor fair because I already know what is there.””

Ann Brady, director of the vendor fair, said she and others at the Office of Student Organizations and Leadership Opportunities sought variety and popularity when choosing the various vendors.

“”We don’t like the vendors to have similar items,”” Brady said. “”We try to have a large variety of items for sale.””

Brady also welcomed feedback from students so that the vendors chosen may accurately mirror the desires of UCSD students.

Students can send opinions to Brady in the S.O.L.O. office.

The Wild West Kettle Corn booth, which is one of the most popular booths at the fair, has set up its tent across from Geisel Library each quarter for the last three years.

Owners Terry and Kacy Magnett run the booth. Terry said he enjoys the relationships he has made with the students and the administration.

“”The people are awesome,”” Terry said. “”You really get comfortable with the students and the people who organize it.””

Muir sophomore Kellie Rice lauded the perennial snack.

“”The kettle corn is yummy,”” Rice said.

Vendors must apply to the S.O.L.O. office to receive a permit to sell at the Vendor Fair. Brady said that over 300 applications were received for the fair’s 65 spots.

$2515
$5000