Crew Ends the Year on a High Note

UCSD men’s crew wound up a successful and educational season last month.

The year was successful because of a number of late accomplishments, but it was also a slow-starting year because younger rowers were still learning their way around the boats.

“”We had a really good year,”” said men’s crew head coach Michael Filippone. “”We took a big hit last year. We showed our inexperience early on, but we kept on improving.””

One of the disappointments came at the San Diego City Championships, but the team eventually bounced back.

One of the year-end highlights was when the varsity four boat finished third in the Pac 10 Championships. It was the only non-Division I boat to medal.

Another triumph was the novice eight boat, which took second in the Pacific Coast Rowing Championships and sixth in the Pac 10 Rowing Championships.

“”We are on track to be fast in the future,”” Filippone said. “”You need experience to return. That’s our goal. What I consider a very good year, I want to make into an exceptional year next year.””

Something new for UCSD is its lightweight boats, which are also performing well.

The varsity lightweight four finished third at the Western Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championships, and the novice lightweight four came in fourth in the Pacific Coast Rowing Championships.

“”It gives guys a chance to row that aren’t the biggest guys,”” Filippone said. “”We want to give a great rowing experience.””

It was a good year for crew, and next year looks to be even better.

“”We did not perform as well as I would have liked early in the season,”” Filippone said. “”As the season went along, we got faster. The squad will be faster next year.””