Open Mascot Tryouts

For the first time in school history, UCSD will have a mascot next fall. As if it wasn’t hard enough just to be a UCSD student, the Triton mascot will have the task of making the home crowd as rowdy as it can be at all sporting events.

Leo Der Stepanians

Anyone who has an ample amount of school spirit should find the job relatively easy. When the mascot helps, say, the basketball team win in the last seconds of a game by keeping the Triton crowd energized, then all the sweating and hard work will be rewarded. Needless to say, the Triton mascot must be committed and dedicated to all of the UCSD athletic teams.

The mascot’s responsibilities include the following: being punctual to all scheduled events; interacting with Triton Tide, cheerleaders and Pep Band; taking care of the costume; and reporting to the assistant athletic director.

Anyone who is interested will have to audition. Auditions are Sunday, May 20 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at RIMAC Arena. To be eligible, students must be enrolled at UCSD full-time, fill out an application that can be picked up at RIMAC in the Intercollegiate Athletics Office and be present for tryouts.

Tryouts will consist of three things: An interview, in which the potential mascot will be asked questions related to school spirit; a two- to three-minute original skit or improvisation while in costume, in front of judges; and a situational improv to music or a hypothetical game setting.

With just over a week before tryouts, students who think they have what it takes have plenty of time to prepare.

$2515
    $5000