UCSD Athletes Recognized

Have you ever heard the term “”dumb jock””? Well, it must have been back in high school, because it does not apply around here at UCSD.

Lyon Liew

On Thursday, UCSD Intercollegiate Athletics honored 10 Triton student-athletes at a luncheon in recognition of the 2001 National Student-Athlete Day.

UCSD chose to honor a male and female athlete from each of the five colleges. Representing Earl Warren College were Sara Patton and Matt DeFord.

Patton is a sophomore structural engineering major and is a member of Triton crew, rowing in the varsity eight boat. She also boasts a healthy 3.74 GPA.

“”I think being on [crew] actually helps me a lot with my schooling and athletics,”” Patton said. “”With all of that time management, when I get busy, I get a lot done. If I wasn’t on a sports team, I think I would slack off a lot in my classes.””

DeFord belongs to the track and field team in addition to other Triton activities. He is a graduating this June with a degree in literature in English and classical studies and has a 3.74 GPA.

“”I think it’s absolutely key in any experience,”” he said. “”Just being a student-athlete, the nature of it is such that you aspire to greatness and excellence both inside the classroom and out on the field. It’s tricky at times. But overall it provides its own balance in a way. “”

Honored from Revelle college were cross country’s Nathan Garcia and basketball’s Nicholle Bromley.

Garcia is currently doing graduate work in teacher education, and sports a 3.76 GPA and good time management.

Bromley is a sophomore studying biology and has a 3.53 GPA.

From Marshall college, Kevin Flynn and Jamie Woods, both volleyball players, were also honored.

Flynn is graduating in June with a 3.55 GPA in computing and the arts, and Woods is a junior studying mathematics in secondary education, and boasts a 3.65 GPA.

John Beaven of the baseball team and swimmer Lindsay Meeks were recognized from Muir college.

Beaven is a junior studying biology and has a 3.55 GPA, and Meeks is also a junior, studying biochemistry with a 3.77 GPA.

From Roosevelt college, Kamyar Daneshvar and Audrey Sung were recognized.

Daneshvar is a sophomore studying political science and has a GPA of 3.64. When he is not hitting the books, Daneshvar can be found rowing as a member of Triton crew.

Sung is a sophomore tackling biochemistry and cell biology. She is doing just fine with the books, holding up a 4.0 GPA. When not running circles around labs and exams, Sung is running circles around opponents as a member of the Triton track and field team.