Softball Downs Stanislaus

The UCSD women’s softball team got down to business on Sunday in two key games over Cal State Stanislaus in a California Collegiate Athletic Association competition.

In the first game of the doubleheader, Leea Harlan tossed the entire seven innings and shut out the CCAA leaders. Harlan allowed just three hits and struck out five.

In the fifth inning, the Tritons scored their two runs of the game when Harlan helped her own cause, bringing in Kim Aggabao and Jeanine Cordero with a double to left center. With the win, Harlan brought her season record to 10-5, winning 2-0

UCSD assistant coach Becky Newbry praised the Triton ace’s performance in the circle and at the plate.

“”She’s one of our leaders on the field,”” Newbry said. “”When Leea plays well, the team plays well.””

In the following game, Christi Martinelli was in the circle for the Tritons and followed up a dominant pitching performance from Harlan in the first game.

Stanislaus struck first in the top of the first inning, getting three hits and scoring once. The Warriors scored again in the top of the third inning when Stanislaus centerfielder Jamie Harkins hit a home run to center field.

In the bottom of the third inning, UCSD tied things up. A hit from Samantha Hayes loaded the bases for the Tritons. Two fielding errors by the Warriors put Aggabao and Amy Mettee on base. Cordero drove in Aggabao and Mettee to even the score at 2-2.

Two innings later, the Tritons scored the game-winning run. Mettee led off the inning with a single and advanced to third base when the Warriors committed another error. Mettee crossed the plate on a sacrifice fly from Cordero.

Newbry feels good about the team’s two important wins.

“”We played great and we deserved to win,”” she said. “”It was a great confidence builder and we know that we are in control of our own destiny.””

The sweep over Stanislaus brought the Tritons’ record to 20-11-1 overall and 13-8-1 in CCAA.

UCSD now travels to UC Davis and Chico State for two doubleheaders this weekend.