UCSD Has a Hard Weekend

UCSD and California State University Stanislaus faced off this weekend in an important four-game California Collegiate Athletic Association series at Triton Field.

Lyon Liew

Stanislaus managed to sweep the first two games from the Tritons in a Friday doubleheader before UCSD got fired up and came back for a victory in Saturday’s rematch. Unfortunately on Sunday the Tritons had no juice left as they dropped the final game to CSUS 13-3.

In the opening game it was Stanislaus that drew first blood, scoring one run in the second inning on an RBI groundout to short by Todd Russell that scored Kyle Sleeth, who had started the inning with a double.

Cal State Stanislaus added a pair more in each of the next two innings, building a 5-0 lead before the Tritons eventually broke their string of goose eggs with two runs in the fifth.

David Hawk started the UCSD rally with a walk and eventually scored on Blair Suzuki’s RBI groundout. Anthony Lococo, who had reached earlier on an error, was then driven in on Chad Addison’s clutch single. The rally was cut short, though, when designated hitter Ryan Larsen struck out looking with two aboard.

The Tritons managed to add one more run in the next inning, but it wasn’t enough, as they ended up falling to Stanislaus 6-3.

John Beaven took the loss, dropping his record to 2-4, while Sam Flores recorded the victory for CSUS to improve to 2-0.

In the nightcap, it was UCSD that jumped out to an early lead, scoring three runs in the bottom of the first in a rally highlighted by a Nate Bestul triple that drove in two. The lead was short-lived, though, as Stanislaus scored one in the first and two apiece in the second and third to pull ahead.

The Tritons threatened to score again in the bottom of the seventh. Singles by Hawk and Suzuki put the Tritons in prime position with two outs. Lococo stepped up and delivered a key triple that scored Hawk and sent Suzuki racing toward the plate, representing the tying run.

It was not to be, though, as a textbook relay from the CSU rightfielder cut him down at the plate to end the rally and the game, 6-5.

$2515
    $5000