UCSD Club Sports

Badminton Team

The UCSD badminton team participated in a tri-meet this weekend at UCLA. The third school was UC Irvine.

The UCSD women’s team was an unstoppable force. Both the doubles and the singles teams swept Irvine and UCLA.

The men’s team was not as successful as the women’s team, but it did win the top singles spot against UCLA and took second in the doubles competition.

Overall, the team won seven out of 10 matches against UCLA and four out of 10 against Irvine.

The team’s final match is March 31 at Cal Tech.

Women’s Rugby

UCSD women’s rugby faced Occidental College at home this weekend. It looked to be an easy match, as UCSD downed its opponent handily, 20-0, earlier this year.

It was just as easy as expected, with UCSD coming out on top, 36-0.

The Tritons jumped out to an early lead and never looked back. Tina Evangelou, Kristin King, Mari Wallace, Melina Madrigal and Teresa Facchini all had big days for UCSD in the route.

Next up for the squad is a the Champagne Classic Tournament this weekend in San Diego at Robb Field.

Women’s Ultimate

The UCSD women’s ultimate team participated in the Stanford Tournament last weekend. UCSD finished second out of 20 teams.

UCSD won its early matches, defeating the likes of UC Santa Cruz and Brown University. Against the University of British Columbia, they lost 15-7.

Ice Hockey

The UCSD ice hockey team played a pair of games this weekend.

UCSD dominated against Fresno State on Friday, winning 3-0. This was the third time in a row it has beaten Fresno, including a victory this year and a win in the championship game last year.

On Saturday against San Jose State University, UCSD cruised to an easy win. The score was 12-3 in favor of the home team when it was all over.

Steven Cohen had five goals in the blowout victory.

Next up for UCSD is a game against Cal State Northridge on Friday at UTC.

Upcoming Events

Friday, March 9

Ice hockey versus Cal State Northridge at UTC, 10:15 p.m.

Saturday, March 10

Men’s lacrosse at UCLA

Sailing at UC Santa Barbara

Women’s Rugby at the Champagne Classic at Robb Field, all day

Sunday, March 11

Women’s lacrosse versus Loyola Marymount

Mon. — Sat. March 5-10

Ski/board National Championships in Boise, Idaho.

— Compiled by Robert Fulton

Sports Editor