UCSD Club Sports

Woman’s Ultimate

The UCSD women’s ultimate team captured the national championship after dominating the Presidents’ Day Tournament this weekend.

The team headed into the tournament undefeated and looked to leave the tournament with the same mark.

UCSD blew by Claremont, Oregon State, UC Santa Cruz, Whitman, University of Oregon, UC Berkeley and Stanford in pool play.

In the quarterfinals, the squad knocked off UC Santa Barbara 15-4. In the semifinals, it was University of Colorado that fell to UCSD as Katie Nelson and Christina Ow had amazing games.

In the finals, it was Stanford who stood in UCSD’s way, but they fell like a house of cards on a greased table 15-6, giving UCSD the national championship.

Men’s Ultimate

The UCSD men’s ultimate team did not fare as well as its female counterpart, but did manage to finish second in the Presidents’ Day Tournament.

On the first day, UCSD breezed through four victories, including a narrow contest against Harvard 13-11.

On the second day, the squad was not so lucky, picking up three victories but falling to University of Oregon.

UCSD did make it to the quarterfinals where they faced off against California State University Humboldt, winning 15-8.

In the semifinals, rival UC Santa Barbara stood in their way. With great play from Kevin Spindt, Mark Humphrey and Stephen Ringel, UCSD won 15-10.

UCSD came within one point of being crowned champion, but lost to University of Colorado 14-13 in the final.

Equestrian Team

This weekend, the UCSD equestrian team hosted about 40 riders at Clark’s Farms.

Participants from the University of San Diego, Cal Poly Pomona, Harvey Mudd College and the University of Southern California all joined to take on a strong UCSD squad.

With all of the recent rain, conditions were far from favorable. Heavy mud made for loose footing. However, the poor conditions did not stop the experienced UCSD’s riders.

Lisa Calvino took second in the open equestrian over fences and fifth in the open on the flat competitions.

Rachel White started for UCSD, taking first in the intermediate flat and fifth in the intermediate fences.

Katie Bradley took third in the intermediate flat and second in the novice fences and Cindy Hung captured second in the walk/trot competition.

Three riders, Hung, Calvino and Bradley, have already qualified for regionals to be held in March.

UCSD’s next competition is March 3 at Cal Poly Pomona.

Cycling Team

The UCSD cycling team headed to Cal Poly Pomona to compete in the Heritage Park Criterium this weekend.

The team had fine performances from all around to finish in third place overall.

Sharon Smith took first for the women in the A category.

UCSD’s Esther Merki was close behind her teammate, finishing in fourth place.

Sabrina Morris chipped in by taking sixth for the women in the B category.

For the men, Matt Sadukuas finished fourth in the A category, Jason Goldber took 12th and Dirk van Ulden was right behind when finished 15th.

Mike Przyabilski finished ninth in the B category for the men and Mark Chaisson finished 15th. Joe Merlone placed 11th in the C category for the men.

Next up for the cycling team is this weekend’s competition at UC Santa Barbara.

Upcoming Events

Friday, Feb. 23

Ice hockey vs. University of San Diego at UTC, 10:15 p.m.

Saturday, Feb. 24

Men’s rugby vs. San Diego State University at Warren field, 1 p.m.

Women’s lacrosse vs. Cal Poly Pomona at Warren field, 1 p.m.

Women’s rugby vs. University of Arizona at Warren Field, 11 a.m.

Men’s lacrosse at San Diego State University

Sunday, Feb. 25

Surf Contest 3 at Huntington Beach, all day

Women’s rugby at Arizona State University, 11 a.m.

Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 24 and 25

Sailing at UCLA, all day

Cycling at UCSB, all day

Competition dance at Las Vegas, all day.

— Compiled by Robert Fulton