Accolades Abound for Triton Athletes

The excellence of UCSD’s fall athletes was affirmed recently when they received a number of honors and awards.

Two members of the Division II National Championship women’s soccer team, Cindy Dostalek and Julia Cuder, were named to the 2000 National Soccer Coaches’ Association of America All-America First Team for Division II.

Dostalek had a fantastic season, scoring 12 goals and dishing nine assists. To top off her stellar season, she scored the winning goal in the Division II championship game.

Cuder, a junior, finished the season with eight goals and 13 assists. Four assists came in a game against United States International University, which tied a school record.

Erika Alfredson joined Dostalek and Cuder on the 2000 National Soccer Coaches’ Association of America All-West Region First Team for Division II. Alfredson, a junior, led the Tritons with 16 goals and eight assists.

In the pool, the men’s water polo team was no slouch as far as awards are concerned.

Jonathan Samuels, who was instrumental to the Tritons’ berth in the water polo championship game, was named to the Second Team All-American by the American Water Polo Coaches Association and was named Division II Player of the Year.

Samuels, a junior, dominated in the pool. He scored 67 goals, and logged 29 steals, 17 assists and nine blocks.

Triton head coach Denny Harper was named Division I Coach of the Year. Harper coached the Tritons to a 21-9 record this year and a berth in the championship game. He was also named Division II Coach of the Year.

Jason Boettner and Justin Wylie, both seniors, earned Division I All-American honorable mentions and were named to the Division II All-American First Team. Senior goalie Glenn Busch also made the All-American First Team.

Not to be left out, the men’s soccer team also garnered its fair share of awards. Bobby Saadati, who was unstoppable for the Tritons, earned First Team All American Division II honors.

Saadati, a junior, logged 10 goals and four assists in guiding the Tritons to a 11-5-2 record.

$2515
    $5000