Campus Community Celebrates Black History Month

Members of the UCSD community have scheduled art exhibits, cultural performances, guest speakers, film screenings and educational workshops commemorating African-American history throughout the month of February. This year’s theme is  “Hallowed Ground: Sites of African-American Memory,” which emphasizes regions of the United States that pushed for racial equality throughout U.S. history.

Becky Petitt, vice chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion at UCSD, said that the annual schedule of events facilitates the dispersion of race-related knowledge.

“Black History Month events offer opportunities for the campus to provide programs and resources that increase understanding and awareness of social justice,” Petitt said in a press release dated Jan. 28. “This is a critical time to reflect on important events and courageous individuals who, throughout U.S. history, have broken barriers in the fight for equality.”

In addition to the these events, the university will be hosting its annual Black History Scholarship brunch on Feb. 27 in Price Center from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. with featured keynote speaker, filmmaker and political activist Donald Glover. According to Chancellor Pradeep Khosla, all of the events will collectively serve as a framework for future generations to remember significant events in African-American history.

“UCSD’s commemoration of Black History Month unites faculty, staff, students and community members to recognize the history and contributions of African Americans throughout U.S. history,” Khosla said in a Jan. 28 press release. “This important campus tradition is about celebration, education and inspiration.”