Proposed Rules Would Set New Curfew

Non-affiliates would be barred between 12 a.m. and 6 a.m. under new guidelines.

uc_color_logo

The Office of the Vice Chancellor of Resource Management and Planning proposed to implement the UC Regent’s Policy on Non-Affiliate Access at UCSD, which would limit the rights and access of non-university affiliates while on campus.

The policy defines non-affiliates as “any person who is not any of the following: a student, officer, official volunteer, employee, regent or emeritus of the University of California or a member of a household authorized to reside in university property.”

The policy includes a curfew for non-affiliates from 12 a.m. to 6 a.m. but this rule does not apply to “university-housing residents or their invited guests, invited guests of university faculty, emeritus or staff, persons possessing valid, written authorization from the designated university official or those on legitimate, university-related business or attending a specific university-sponsored event.” It also does not apply to “people proceeding directly across a roadway or path that has been designated by the designated university official as open to the public during curfew hours.”

Other mandates of the policy include guidelines on non-affiliate usage of alcohol, fire, nudity, gatherings and demonstrations, on-campus camping, storage of personal belongings and solicitation. The policy also includes stipulations against non-affiliates bringing animals to campus; it states that unauthorized animals must “remain on a leash or under the hand control of a responsible person at all times.”

Those wishing to comment on the proposal may submit written responses to Director of Policy and Records Administration Paula Johnson before June 30.