Showdown: A Delicious Duel of Delectables

D Bar, E=MC^2
Photo by Michelle Louie /Guardian
D Bar, E=MC^2 Photo by Michelle Louie /Guardian

D Bar, E=MC^2
Photo by Michelle Louie /Guardian

D Bar
3950 5th Ave., San Diego, CA 92103
Hours:
Mon.: Closed
Tue.: 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Wed. to Fri.: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Sat.: 10 a.m. to 12 a.m.
Sun.: 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Located in the thriving Hillcrest area, D Bar sells entrees and appetizers on top of its well-known gourmet saccharides and ethanol combination. The glass sunroof and the large glass windows that make up the entrance filter in sunlight and create an open atmosphere for family and friends. The bar is mostly dependent on natural lighting during sunlit hours because the interior lights are weak; however, this lighting creates a romantic, warm glow at night. At D Bar, the food is slow to arrive, but the wait is worth it. The Cake and Shake ($10) is a slice of three-layer chocolate cake paired with a vanilla, chocolate or raspberry shake of your choice. If you prefer a minimalistic artistic dish arrangement, try the d=mc^2 ($10), which tastes like a combination of Reese’s peanut butter and a chocolate bar. The Poco Coco Loco ($10) is a mouth-bursting, multi-layered fusion of coconut panna cotta, basil, passion fruit cloud and tapioca pudding and a vanilla macaron on top. Depending on the dessert, eating one of these by yourself after a full meal may overwhelm your taste buds and appetite. Instead, grab a couple of different ones to share with a group, such as the tart Poco Coco Loco with the almost too-decadent Cake and Shake. Down it all with $3 mimosas during happy hour.

Extraordinary Desserts, Chocolate Cake Photo By Alwin Szeto /Guardian
Extraordinary Desserts, Chocolate Cake
Photo By Alwin Szeto /Guardian

Extraordinary Desserts
2929 5th Ave., San Diego, CA 92103
Mon. through Thu.: 8:30 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Sat.: 10 a.m. to 12 a.m.
Sun.: 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.

The original Extraordinary Desserts shop in Banker Hill is the smaller, albeit cozier, of the only two locations in San Diego. In contrast to D Bar with its larger, open space, this particular Extraordinary Desserts maintains a more intimate cafe setting, as it was one of San Diego’s original espresso coffee houses. The indoor lighting is warmly lit yet bright enough that you can see the food and people around you. Rather than being seated before you order, you order first, where you can see and choose the desserts you want, all presented and laid out while you’re in line to the cashier. The presentation of the desserts is beautiful — their signature edition of flowers (and in some cases gold flakes) is of a simpler design, and hence getting the food to go won’t diminish its aesthetics. This is definitely preferred for those who can’t devour their delicious dessert in one sitting after a full meal. There are varying levels of epicure confections depending on what you order. The Linzer Danish ($5) is a buttery pastry topped with fresh raspberry preserves and pink flower petals. The Lemon Bar ($3.50) is a bit on the tart side, lessened with a fine dusting of powdered sugar and some gold flakes on top of the lemon custard fill. Their ice cream ($4.50) — from Bailey’s to pistachio to blackberry cheesecake — is another delectable option from the endless tirade of sweets. However, the Passion Fruit Napoleon ($8.95) takes the cake with its three layers of puff pastry, tart lemon cream and just the right amount of passion fruit whip cream in between; all of this is topped with fresh seasonal fruit, flowers and cream. Extraordinary offers a huge selection of tea and coffee instead of alcoholic beverages, and the aroma of tea, coffee and sweets adds to the warm cafe atmosphere.

Winner: Extraordinary Desserts
Extraordinary Desserts wins for its relatively cheaper price, its quality desserts, its ability to cater and be taken to go and its not-as-overwhelmingly decadent options on the menu. For the average college student, D Bar dishes out a heftier tab, from a close range of $8 to $12 while Extraordinary has a larger range from $3.50 to $10 for dessert that’s just as good. Nevertheless, both gourmet dessert places can be frequented by all types: couples, friends and families.