4 UCSD Alumni receive Tony nominations

Image courtesy of Broadway at the Eccles

Among this year’s Tony nominations, four UC San Diego alumni received nods for their work, as originally shared by UC San Diego Today. The Tony Awards recognize excellence for live Broadway productions and performances, and are presented in New York annually. 

Two alumni, Michael Greif and Robert Brill, received nominations this year for their work on pop singer Alicia Keys’ new musical “Hell’s Kitchen,” which debuted last month. Keys’ musical received 13 nominations in total, the most out of any production this year. 

Greif, M.F.A.‘85, is a five-time Tony nominated director, and received a nomination for Best Musical Director for Hell’s Kitchen. Grief has previously directed seven original Broadway musicals and received nominations for four of them, including “Rent” and “Dear Evan Hansen.”

Brill, M.F.A. ‘88, was nominated for Best Scenic Design of a Musical for “Hell’s Kitchen.” Brill is a current faculty member in the Theatre and Dance department who teaches courses on set designing. He was also an Artist-in-Residence at the La Jolla Playhouse in 2013. Brill previously received Tony Nominations for scenic designs on “Ain’t Too Proud” in 2019, “Assassins” in 2004, and “Guys and Dolls” in 2009.

Quincy Tyler Bernstine, M.F.A.’99, is a two-time Obie Award winner for off-Broadway performances. Bernstine received a nomination for Best Performance by an Actress for her role in the original play, “Doubt: A Parable.” 

Anne Kauffman, M.F.A.’99, was nominated for Best Direction of a Play for “Mary Jane,” which stars Rachel McAdams. Kauffman previously won an Obie for directing for the play’s initial run in 2018 at the Yale Repertory Theatre the year before. 

The 2024 Tony Awards will air Sunday, June 16 at 5 p.m. PST from New York City.