Gas Leak Occurs at the New North Torrey Pines Living Learning Center

On Oct. 7, a gas leak occurred at the North Torrey Pines Living Learning Center due to construction activities along the fence line of the site. The scope of the gas leak affected the new Living Learning Center as well as Peterson Hall, the Applied Physics & Mathematics building, and the Media Communications building. The gas has since been shut off and repairs were estimated to be completed by 6:30 p.m. on the same day. 

No one, including students and construction personnel, were hurt as a result of the gas leak. According to the San Diego Fire Department, the area is now completely safe and that it is fine to re-enter the aforementioned areas. Once shut off, the leak was deemed not hazardous and no evacuation was needed.

Notifications were sent out via UC San Diego Triton Alerts to students on a rolling basis from approximately 3:10 p.m. on Oct 7. If you have any questions regarding this incident, please contact UCSD Environment, Health, and Safety Emergency Management & Business Continuity at [email protected] or (858) 246-0695.

Information in this article was provided by UC San Diego Emergency Alerts and the Associate Director of University Communications, Leslie Sepuka. 

Photo courtesy of Ellie Wang for The UCSD Guardian.