University Releases Updates to Sun God Safety Policies

UCSD Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Juan Gonzalez disclosed this year’s updates to the Sun God safety policies on April 25. In the email sent to all UCSD students, Gonzalez stated that any student engaging in behavior that results in specific punitive measures from UCSD Police between April 28 at 8 p.m. and May 1 at 8 a.m. will be barred from attending either this year’s or next year’s festival.

Students can be restricted from the festival if they are arrested or are cited for being under the influence, driving under the influence or distributing controlled substances. Another violation of the policy can include a student receiving a citation or possessing controlled substances other than marijuana. Furthermore, any students caught engaging in behavior that calls for their arrest but who are instead admitted to a hospital also qualify for exclusion from the event.

Moreover, Gonzalez stated that the festival’s Weekend Residential Guest Policy will remain in place, which means only residents of each of the campus’ seven residential areas — the six colleges and the Village — can be present in the area’s living spaces between 8 p.m. and 8 a.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. This policy does not apply to public spaces, study rooms, dining areas or outdoor spaces in those residential areas.

According to the email, the policy is aimed at “mitigating the prospect of multiple large gatherings and disruptions,” which the university hopes will help resident assistants “efficiently handle any situations” that occur in the living areas over the weekend.