UCSD Officials Announce IRPS Name Change

UCSD officials recently announced that the School of International Relations and Pacific Studies will be renamed the School of Global Policy and Strategy this upcoming July. 

The name change will expand the focuses of the department by reflecting the core mission of teaching global strategy and problem solving from the private and nonprofit sectors. Along with the change of IR/PS to GPS comes the change of the school’s Center on Emerging and Pacific Economics to the Center for Global Transformation and the addition of the new Master of Public Policy and the Master of International Affairs degrees. 

Chancellor Khosla explained that the change reflects the desire of the department to be more global and more inclusive in a university press release. 

“The UC San Diego School of Global Policy and Strategy is preparing a new generation of leaders who are solving complex problems in a diverse and interconnected world,” Khosla said. “The name change reflects the school’s impact as a premier international research institution that is at the forefront of international research and policy discussions that will have an impact for generations to come.”

According to Foreign Policy Magazine rankings, the program has been a leader in research and development of policy in the Pacific region since its establishment in 1986. The IR/PS program at UCSD has placed 13th on the magazine’s university rankings for academic programs in international relations. 

IR/PS Dean Peter Cowhey said that the new name of the department represents the expansion of the core ideals of the school. 

“Change, in the form of technological, political and economic advances, is in the DNA of our teaching and research,” Cowhey said in a press release. “The name ‘School of Global Policy and Strategy’ is a fitting representation of the school’s trajectory to match the profound transformations of our increasingly globalized world.”

This change was sponsored by Joan and Irwin Jacobs through their Dunaway Foundation, which reserved $4 million to reshape the CEPE into the CGT. Irwin Jacobs expressed his support and enthusiasm for the transition in the same press release.  

“Joan and I are thrilled with the visionary direction of the School of Global Policy and Strategy and its mission to address the great challenges of our time,” Jacobs said. “The Center for Global Transformation will lead inquiry on global economic and technological transformation, two areas that are of particular interest to us. This gift is designed to help the center continue to grow as a powerful platform for understanding these fundamental shifts.”