Gov. Brown Appoints New UC Regents Before November Meeting

Edmund_G_Brown_Jr

Governor Brown has appointed two new Board of Regents members, John A. Perez and Eloy Ortiz Oakley, ahead of this week’s meeting that will decide whether to raise tuition over the next five years.

According to UCSD’s University of California Student Association representative, Allyson Osorio, Perez and Oakley will be allowed to vote at meetings between November 18-20th.

Perez served in the California State Assembly since 2008, and as Speaker from 2010 to 2014, the first openly gay man in that role. He authored the Middle Class Scholarship Act in 2013.

Oakley is a longtime administrative figure in education, currently working as the superintendent and president of Long Beach City College.

The appointments leave one vacancy in the Board of Regents.

Brown previously stated that he was not informed of the Regents’ tuition hike plan, and, along with current Assembly Speaker Toni Atkins and Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom, has expressed his disapproval.

UCSD students will protest the proposed hikes Tuesday at 11:30 AM in front of Geisel Library’s iconic Silent Tree.

Additional reporting by Tina Butoiu.