Site Seen: Revellution

Despite the fact that this year’s concert is the fourth since its inception, Revellution continues to fly under the radar. However, with its well-known headliner, Javier Colon, the Season One winner of NBC’s reality talent show “The Voice,” the lineup for this year is making a big change.

“I thought it was really important for name recognition to get students excited,” junior and Revelle College Council Director of Events Brenda Rodriguez said.

Opening the concert are two notable artists, Chris Cauley and Five Times August. 

“Through [Colon], we found Chris Cauley, who was also on ‘The Voice.’ He is really talented and they mutually knew each other [from the show,] … and then my advisor actually knows Five Times August, and she was like, ‘He has about the same vibe to have him,’” Rodriguez said.

While most students are still unaware of the event and its Facebook event page, Revellution will be utilizing its new location in Revelle College Plaza to attract students to the event, something its previous location at Stonehenge failed to do.

“I wanted to have it in the plaza because the [residential] halls are right there and if for some reason people didn’t know it was going on, they [soon] would know — they would hear it,” Rodriguez said.

Revellution is free to the public and will be happening on May 9 starting at 7:30 p.m. in Revelle College Plaza.

Headliner Colon first appeared on “The Voice” on April 26, 2011, impressing the judges with his performance of Cyndi Lauper’s classic “Time After Time.” A favorite contestant, Colon won the title and a $100,000 grand prize, plus a Universal Republic recording contract. On November 21, 2011, Colon released his album “Come Through for You,” which shows what he calls “acoustic soul.”

Cauley was most recently a member of Adam Levine’s team on “The Voice.” Through the competition, he gained worldwide exposure and garnered attention online through a soulful EP Cauley released independently. He also released a digital single, “Everything Easy.” He wrote the song for his wedding day, and it is now played at weddings around the globe.

Five Times August is the name of a one-man music project by Dallas’ independent singer/songwriter/guitarist Brad Skistimas and was derived from the songwriter’s birthday, August 5. Five Times August began in 2001. He saw his big break at the end of 2004, when a music supervisor at MTV discovered the song “Better With You,” and used it on the widely popular reality series “Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County.”