Currents

? Ten UCSD graduate students were inducted into the Bouchet Graduate Honor society last week for exemplary work that incorporated and encouraged diversity. UCSD is the only West Coast university with a chapter at the Yale-based society. 

? Overweight teens who are comfortable with their bodies tend to have lower rates of depression, according to a study that will be published in Journal of Adolescent Health in June. Several UCSD professors including Stephanie Knatz and Roxanne Rockwell contributed to the study.

? A San Diego man was arrested after he slashed his son’s arms with a knife at a San Diego cemetery. Joseph Ramirez claims that he heard “voices in his head” telling him to sacrifice the eight-year-old boy.

? An autopsy performed on the suspect in the New Year’s Eve murder-suicide in Coronado has determined that John Reeves was intoxicated when he killed himself and three friends at a party. Among those killed were UCSD alum Karen Reis and her brother David.

? The American Lung Association has awarded San Diego an “F” grade for air quality. Overall, San Diego has the seventh worst air quality in the country.

? The California State Assembly unanimously passed a bill last week that will authorize the establishment of the UCLA International Medical Graduate Program. 

? Police arrested a Long Beach man after finding him lying next to a young girl in a church parking lot. The man had allegedly killed the girl, then attempted to kill himself.