Currents

? UCSD was recently ranked 11th in the nation on the Peace Corps’ annual Top Colleges list. In 2011, 78 UCSD alumni became Peace Corps volunteers — an increase of 16 percent over last year when UCSD was ranked 14th.

? Assistant Vice Chancellor Mounir Soliman headed a UCSD delegation to meet with Vice Rector for Academic Affairs, Dr. Nassar M. Shaikh at Prince Mohammad bin Fahd University in Saudi Arabia. The two parties discussed a continued future relationship between the two schools, which would include combined research activities and academic exchange programs.

? Last Tuesday, UCSD officials announced that the purchase of the Nevada Cancer Institute was finalized. UCSD spent $18 million in the deal that will create the first UC-owned medical property outside of California.

? Eight Navy sailors were discharged over the weekend following a hazing incident that occurred on an assault ship based in San Diego. The sailors had assaulted and choked a sailor who was new to the department last month as part of an initiation ritual.

? A Sunday morning fire caused an estimated $100,000 in damage to a house in San Diego’s Fairmont Park neighborhood. No injuries were reported and the cause of the fire is under investigation.

? The San Diego office of Susan G. Komen for the cure received death threats after deciding to cut funding for Breast Cancer Screenings at Planned Parenthood. The Komen Foundation has since reversed its decision.

? A 54-year-old Sacramento woman is facing child endangerment charges after she left her one-year-old grandchild alone in a car seat on a sidewalk with an open bottle of brandy.
? The Picayune Rancheria of the Chukchansi Indians and the Pala Band of Mission Indians, both tribes that operate casinos, cut off dozens of members from profit-share because of disqualifications in bloodlines.
? Officials believe a young Los Angeles girl was sexually abused by two different teachers who were both arrested this week. The girl, who was in second grade when she was first touched inappropriately, is one of at least 23 victims between the two teachers. One of the offenders, 61-year-old Mark Berndt, allegedly spoon-fed his own semen to several of his victims.

$2515
$5000