ERC to Have New Condom Machines

Former Campuswide Senator Elizabeth Elman launched a “Sexual Health Empowerment” project in 2010 which focused on providing students with affordable access to birth control. The first part of Elman’s project culminated with the installation of the Price Center machines, which were installed in Spring Quarter 2011 with support from University Centers.

According to Associate Vice President of Student Services Leigh Mason, the machines have generated a positive response from students.

“We stocked at the end of spring quarter, and when we came back in fall they were empty,” Mason said. “We’ve restocked twice [this year]. Over one weekend the machines were completely sold out.”

Mason said that the Office of Student Services, in collaboration with Student Health Services, hoped to expand Elman’s project to ERC in a pilot project to assess student use within colleges.

“We don’t want to spend money unless it’s a success,” Mason said.

Mason said the project’s long-term goals are to expand condom machines within every college and in the second-floor Price Center restrooms.  

According to Mason, each machine costs roughly $200 and a pair of condoms costs 25 cents.
The machines will be restocked by A.S. Council to keep the service sustainable.            

“The only maintenance would be the one-time investment of the machines and support from Housing and Dining,” Mason said.

If Housing, Dining and Hospitality approves the project, condom machines will likely be installed under Café Ventanas and potentially in I-House, Mason said.

The Office of Student Services plans to draft up a proposal for Housing and Dining to review next quarter.

“Other universities already have condom machines,” Mason said. “It was surprising that UCSD didn’t.”

As part of Student Health Services’ contribution to the project, the condom machines in ERC will have pamphlets with information on STD screening and sexual health sessions.

$2515
$5000