Full Sun God Lineup Announced

Nearly a month after revealing that Wiz Khalifa will be headlining the Sun God Festival, A.S. Concerts and Events Media Liaison Oliver Zhang disclosed the remainder of the lineup just two weeks before the May 13 festival.

“We had to wait for contracts and finalizing [event details],” Zhang said. “We wanted to announce this in one big wave.”

Rapper Big Sean, who has toured with Wiz Khalifa, will be performing on the main stage in between Mike Posner and Crystal Castles. Other main stage performances include Best Coast, Jimmy Eat World and Battle of the Bands Winner Kera and the Lesbians.

This year, the dance tent will now be a much larger enclosed dance stage.

“The dance stage will have a club feel to it,” Zhang said. “It will be much larger, there won’t really be a particular capacity. It will be more like a second main stage.”

New dance stage acts will include performances from electronic artists LA Riots, Kill the Noise and Ocelot. DJ Battle Winner DJ Philly and DJ Battle Finalists NOLD and the Dream Team will perform on the dance stage.

Midway stage acts include the Australian comedy group Axis of Awesome, circus performance group Cirque Berzerk and comedians Dan Gurewitch and Streeter Seidel from www.collegehumor.com.

San Diego beverage store D’lush — the official beverage sponsor for this year’s event — will be serving iced drinks in a 3,200 square-foot lounge with couches and a large seating area.

“There will be several bars serving various mixed drinks,” Zhang said. “There will be plasma screens with live feeds from the [festival].”

In an effort at making the festival greener, sustainability projects will be initiated this year. Students with reusable water bottles will be given free cold water, while those without bottles can purchase compostable cups for $1 to discourage waste. Styrofoam cups will be banned.

CarbonGuard — a San Diego-based environmental organization focused on preventing waste — will be working with ASCE to offset the carbon emissions produced by event.

“We tell them how many people drive [and] fly to Sun God, attendance and how much energy is used and they calculate the carbon emissions and then offset it,” Zhang said.

Twenty-two different student organizations will have booths at the festival along with professional vendors selling food and drinks along Hopkins Drive — which is renamed “Sun God Avenue” for the day of the event.

Other changes include a guest ticket price increase from $41 to $50. ASCE sold 3,500 guest tickets last year but reduced the amount to 3,000 this year. Guest tickets sold out in four days, according to Zhang.

Wristbands will be distributed to undergraduates with student identification on Marshall Field on May 12 and 13.

Security costs decreased compared to last year due to a shorter festival time. Past festivals ran from 12 p.m. to midnight but gates will not open until 2 p.m. this year.

Coordinators are focusing on logistical issues for the next two weeks.

“With the event quickly approaching, what we have left to do is continue to finalize the logistics of the event,” Festivals Coordinator Melissa McCoy said. “We are working on staffing and prepping for overall day-of production needs. These sort of logistical aspects are what build this event, and make it what it is.”