Alumnus Arrested for Child Porn Possession

David Taylor Kaye

Alumnus David Taylor Kaye, 43, was arrested on Jan. 21 for secretly filming at least seven women undressing at an Escondido tanning salon. Kaye is also charged with 15 counts of child pornography possession.

“[He is looking at] possibly eight years, but there are lots of circumstances that can change that,” Escondido Police Department Lt. Craig Carter said.

Kaye is facing 10 other charges that include possession of a concealed firearm and destruction of evidence. He is a Carlsbad-based attorney specializing in family law.

Carter said police were informed by the Tanning Place owner in Escondido, which received complaints from clients about a man filming the clients. The youngest victim was 15 years old

Police then launched a 10-month investigation starting in March 2010. Kaye was arrested on April 19, 2010, on four counts of secretly filming a person, a misdemeanor in California.

The Tanning Place’s Escondido location has since closed, according to its website.

Video evidence found on Kaye’s phone and computers led to his arrest and additional charges.

A search warrant was then filed on July 22; subsequently, Escondido police found additional evidence in his home and business.

Escondido police believe there may be more victims of Kaye’s secret filming.

“We cannot discuss the case against him or the evidence now that the charges have been filed,” San Diego County District Attorney spokesman Steve Walker said.

Attorney Sean Leslie, who is representing Kaye for this case, said he is pleading not guilty to all charges.

Preliminary hearings are set to begin in March and initial statements are being developed, Leslie said.

Bail has been set at $100,000; the amount is typically determined by the severity of the crime and the client’s criminal history.

Kaye resides in San Marcos. He graduated from UCSD in 1989 with a degree in economics.