Councilmembers Strut Their Stuff, Discuss Sprinkles Store

Last night’s A.S. Council meeting started out amusingly as several councilmembers competed to be in the Panhellenic Sorority Kappa Alpha Theta’s philanthropic fashion show., called KATwalk.

AVP of College Affairs Leonard Bobbit walked against Sixth College Senator Parminder Sandhu. Bobbit’s flamboyant walk was a clear winner compared to the slumped, uneasy walking posture of Sandhu — who was pressured by fellow members to compete. A.S. President Wafa Ben Hassine walked against Warren College President Alyssa Wing, who stole the show with disco hand motions.

The meeting quickly transitioned back to business. AVP of Student Organizations Carli Thomas said she will be attending multiple org meetings to get feedback on what organizations want from council.

Sixth College Senator Kristian Castro and Sandhu repped Sixth College’s Semi-Formal, which will be held on Jan. 29. The Oz-themed dance will have a LED dance floor and shuttle transportation. DJ Lisa will spin the jams. Sandhu also reminded council that applications to be a trustee for the Student Foundation, which gives scholarships to current students.

Ben Hassine sadly informed council that Campuswide Senator Adriana Garcia sent in a resignation letter stating that she was too overwhelmed to continue.

AVP of Student Advocacy Arohi Sharma said a new draft of the revised Student Code of Conduct will be released within the next few weeks. Presentations about the new draft will take place all over campus to obtain student feedback.

AVP of Academic Affairs Desiree Prevo said the academic senators will be meeting with Associate Vice Chancellor of Undergraduate Education Barbara Sawrey for lunch at the Faculty Club. As a social sciences major, Prevo said the department was poorly represented at the job fair. She plans to speak to the Career Services Center.

AVP of Local Affairs Matthew Vu discussed multiple conferences on diversity and high school outreach that will occur this quarter. He also mentioned a pillow fight at Library Walk on Friday at 12:50 p.m. to protest the governor’s proposed budget cuts.

All-Campus Transfer Association Chair Adam Powers is getting more information from the Transportation Services Director on the removal of student parking spaces.

AVP of Athletic Relations Pauline Nuth set up a reward system for students who attend basketball games. They will receive points for prizes.

Campuswide Senator Anish Bhayani informed council that ARSFAB (Athletics, Recreation and Sports Facilities Advisory Board) is changing their charter to fit council’s and GSA council’s standards to pass a referendum fee, which will fund the Canyonview Pool facility.

The new Advocate General is David Conant, who represents council in hearings at the A.S. Judicial Board.

The meeting ended in just over an hour with an announcement from Sandhu that cupcake store Sprinkles opens today at La Jolla Village Center. The councilmembers broke into excited discussions while Executive Assistant Heather Belk attempted to take roll call over the animated council members.

$2515
$5000