Muir Musical Welcomes The Lorax Trolley

Last Friday, about 15 to 20 cast members from the student organization Muir Musical performed the opening number from their “Seussical the Musical” production, “Oh, the Thinks You Can Think” — but this time it wasn’t in the safety of their Mandeville Auditorium set. Instead, they ushered the unveiling of the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System’s new trolley.

The trolley — a collaboration between MTS and Dr. Seuss Enterprises — is painted with scenes from The Lorax, a children’s book written by Theodor Geisel — of UCSD’s famous spaceship library.

The words “Go Green!” are also painted on the car, along with the warning: “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not” — a line from Theodor Geisel’s well-known story.

The event kicked off a series of events in honor of Earth Day on April 22, including an appearance by the Lorax-themed trolley at UCSD’s Clean Car Show this upcoming Thursday. It will also be running on the Orange and Green lines over the next few months.

Erik Jepsen/Guardian

Audrey Geisel — Theodor’s widow and president of Dr. Seuss Enterprises — and a guy in a Lorax suit were also present for the trolley unveiling, which was geared toward promoting the conservation of resources and encouraging children to be more environmentally conscious.

$2515
$5000