Hiatus Calendar

Thursday:

One of the most progressive forces in East Coast indie music, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, is coming to our side of the country to spread their sound. The band is on tour to promote its latest album, Hearts of Oak. Leo’s indie rock is a mixture of punk, folk and soul that will leave the unsuspecting indie kids happy for the rest of the night. The Casbah show begins at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $8. For more information, call (619) 232-4355.

Everyone has a little bit of a gossip and wants to know every one else’s secrets ‹ especially if they work for high-profile people. That’s the subject of “”Fully Committed,”” the one-man show with 40 different characters. The main character, Sam, is a restaurant host who interacts with a whole range of characters, from celebrity chefs to the Park Avenue socialite. Starring San Diego actor David McBean, the show plays at Cygnet Theatre, running through Feb. 29. Showtimes vary. Tickets range from $22 to $26. For more information, call (619) 255-8033.

Friday:

One of the world’s greatest ghost stories takes the stage at the Lamb’s Players Theatre. The first show of the new season is “”Hamlet,”” William Shakespeare’s famous play about a young prince who must deal with the death of his father and his mother’s remarriage to his uncle. In dealing with these traumatic events, Hamlet is driven to the point of insane obsession, which results in a chilling play. The play runs through March 7. Times vary. Tickets are $22 to $48. For more information, call (619) 437-0600.

You don’t have to head to Tijuana to get your groove on to some great Latin music. The Nortec Collective, a pack of five DJs who combine traditional Mexican music and electronica, is heading over to our side of the border. With a heavy-sounding drum-and-bass, keyboards and horns, the Nortec Collective provides a different style of music for Friday-night dancing. IDs are needed: This event is for those aged 21 and up. The show begins at the Belly Up Tavern at 9:15 p.m. Tickets are $23. For more information, call (858) 481-9022.

Reunited, and it feels so good! the Greyboy Allstars have reunited and are playing at 4th & B to celebrate. Back on tour to promote their latest album, Live, the band has a blend of danceable jazz music. Well known as one of San Diego’s most influential bands, the Allstars have the reputation to prove it. The show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are $25. For more information, call (619) 231-4343.

Saturday:

For a mix of jazz and traditional flamenco, check out Paco de Lucia when he performs at the California Center for the Arts in Escondido. The Spanish flamenco guitarist has music in his heritage: His father and brother were both flamenco guitarists. With that kind of blood, it’s no wonder that de Lucia has the wonderful flamenco style he does. In mixing traditional flamenco music with contemporary style, he creates music that is energizing and dynamic. The show begins at 8 p.m. and tickets are $42 to $52. For more information, call (760) 839-4138.

Tuesday:

The man, the myth, the king ‹ B.B. King, that is. The renowned blues guitarist and singer is taking over 4th & B for a night of blues music that has made him legendary. King mixes the traditional blues with the more modern electric blues for a sound that has made him legendary the world over. Playing with Earl Thomas, the night begins at 8 p.m. Tickets range from $50 to $60. For more information, call (619) 231-4343.

New Orleans is known for a lot of things, like Mardi Gras, Bourbon Street and jazz. Now, the best-known jazz band from New Orleans, the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, is coming to San Diego. Formed in 1961, the Preservation Hall played the best of New Orleans jazz, and then evolved into a national touring group. With trumpets, trombones, drums and piano, this jazz band plays both old standards (“”Georgia on my Mind,”” “”When the Saints Go Marching In””) and original music. The Jazz Band is performing at the East County Performing Arts Center at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $27. For more information, call (619) 440-2277.

Wednesday:

Cary Grant was one of Hollywood’s most legendary actors and top leading men. Celebrate the month of love by coming out to the Museum of Photographic Arts’ “”Happy Birthday, Cary Grant”” film festival. Running through Feb. 28, the festival will screen eight of the actor’s prime films, including “”An Affair to Remember,”” “”The Philadelphia Story”” and “”The Awful Truth.”” Tickets are $7 and times vary. For more information, call (619) 238-7559.

Forget Hanson and the Brady Bunch ‹ Leahy is the new family that is making waves. The five sisters and four brothers from Ontario, Canada, fiddle and tap in a style similar to “”Riverdance.”” And these kids have experience ‹ they once opened for Shania Twain. The show takes place at Mandeville Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $22. For more information, call (858) 534-TIXS.

If you like Sean Paul and Sum 41, Mest may be right up your ally. These Chicago boys mix ska and reggae with pop punk to create a truly unique sound. The band is on tour promoting its self-titled album. The show takes place at SOMA at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $13. For more information, call (619) 226-7662.

Look to the Hiatus Calendar for events in and around UCSD.

All tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster by calling (619) 220-8497 or by going to http://www.ticketmaster.com unless otherwise noted.