New A.S. position approved

The A.S. Council voted Wednesday night to approve the creation of the office of Commissioner of Athletics. The amendment to the constitution must be approved by three of the five college councils to take effect.

According to the legislation, which was proposed by Vice President Internal Jenn Brown and Director of Athletics Robin Shelton, the commissioner of athletics will be responsible for informing and representing the A.S. Council on matters of intercollegiate athletics by attending Triton Athletes’ Council meetings and serving on the executive council of Triton Tide. The commissioner will also work to increase attendance at NCAA events, increase athletic awareness on campus, support the needs of NCAA athletes, and will supervise and direct all appointments regarding athletics.

Shelton said that he feels such a position is necessary to represent the 700 students involved in athletics at UCSD.

Brown said that the office of commissioner has a much larger reach than the current director position. The director of athletics position is under the A.S. president. The commissioner of athletics’ office will have a budget and staff members to represent different aspects of athletics, including club sports.

“”Seeing as our teams are doing really well right now, we thought this would be a good time to not only show the student body how good our programs are, but to support our student athletes as well,”” Brown said.

The Unity slate, from which most of the sitting A.S. Council was elected, campaigned last year on the issue of representation for athletes.

David Hawk, an Eleanor Roosevelt College sophomore and right-fielder for the UCSD men’s baseball team, said he thinks the position will have positive effects.

“”This will create a better athletic atmosphere throughout the campus,”” Hawk said. “”The more exposure the better for any aspects of athletics at our school in particular.””

Shelton also said he thinks the A.S. Council’s increased involvement with athletes will benefit the campus atmosphere.

“”I think something everybody is looking for is more spirit and a more unified campus, and athletics does that,”” he said. “”It’s one of the few things that everyone can relate to.””

Shelton, who competed on UCSD’s golf team for two years, said he thinks the position will have other benefits as well.

“”[The position] is going to broaden the base of A.S.,”” he said. “”It will help to improve the student-athlete relationship and atmosphere on campus.””

The legislation was presented to four of the college councils last Thursday, along with legislation to add the position of commissioner of diversity affairs.

According to A.S. President Jeff Dodge, Thurgood Marshall College Student Council and Student Council of ERC already approved both positions and Muir College Council approved the commissioner of diversity affairs and still has to vote on commissioner of athletics.

“”This is a good step since we have made the change to [Division] II,”” Hawk said.

$2515
$5000