KSDT to Split From SRTV

As of next year, KSDT will no longer share station 18 with SRTV, and it will only be broadcast through its Web site.

The change will also result in separate budgets for each organization. Both groups are currently part of the umbrella organization Student Cable Works, which is funded by the A.S. Council Previously, both organizations shared one budget for Student Cable Works.

Student Cable Works General Manager Jeff Pease said it makes sense to split up the operations.

“”SRTV has such big plans, they thought it would be easier if we took their portion of the budget from the radio station,”” Pease said.

Pease commented that SRTV will be expanding its operations and acting as a service to student organizations.

“”SRTV will go out and film events on campus for free,”” Pease said, elaborating on SRTV’s future plans.

“”Because of underhanded and overhanded cuts, [SRTV] will also not be on Cox Cable,”” said KSDT Operations Manager Peter Bejarano at Tuesday’s SRTV general staff meeting.

He noted that SRTV focused more on consumer programming, making it more pertinent to UCSD students.

Bejarano said that the KSDT budget will decrease because of the split, but that the action will result in benefits for the radio station.

“”[The split] will offer us more freedom, because before, we had to closely monitor the DJs,”” he said.

Bejarano said that because the station is Internet-powered, KSDT will have “”the freedom to reach people who want to listen.””

He said the KSDT Web site will archive sample shows, each show will have its own Web page, and listeners will be able to participate in live chats with the DJs.

Bejarano added that the KSDT studio will revert to a recording studio.

“”Bands can come in to cut professional demos,”” Bejarano said.

A.S. Commissioner of Services and Enterprises Colin Parent said that the move was meant to be fair to both parties.

“”There was a concern that KSDT was getting more than its fair share of the resources,”” Parent said. He was referring to the organizations’ shared budget, which totaled approximately $18,726 last year.

A.S. President Jeff Dodge said the budget split would be beneficial to both organizations. He explained that under the old, shared budget, Student Cable Works, which is in its last year of existence, received a budget of six stipends. He said the budget separation is about clarifying who gets which stipends.

According to Dodge, SRTV is the more accessible organization to students of the two, because KSDT is cable radio and does not have FM or AM bandwidth.

“”There has to be a time where KSDT has to pull it together,”” said Dodge, who believes that the split will make both services more accessible for students. “”We’re not going to increase funding for something that students can’t use.””

KSDT DJs will be on Library Walk tomorrow as part of Sun God festivities. They will be handing out CDs, and there will be a sign-up sheet for students interested in getting involved with the station.

On May 26 at 7 p.m. at the Hump, KSDT will present the band Estradasphere. The event will also highlight a vegan barbecue and wet T-shirt contest.

$2515
$5000