Juvenile Cancels, F.o.N. Fills In at Winterfest Friday

Despite the cold winter weather outside, F.o.N., Sprung Monkey and Lucy Pearl warmed up the stage for all in attendance at Winterfest Friday night.

“”With the lineup change, I think the committee did a good job putting it together,”” said A.S. Festival Committee member Mike Hayes.

The committee that organized the concert stated that the show was supposed to feature rap group Juvenile, who canceled when its lead singer became ill.

“”Juvenile said he had an ear infection and couldn’t fly from Miami on Thursday,”” said A.S Co-Festivals Coordinator Priya Mohan. “”So Thursday morning until Thursday night, we tried to find another band but it didn’t happen.””

Once Juvenile canceled, F.o.N signed on to play the opening set as Lucy Pearl became the lead act.

Some of those in attendance deemed it unfortunate that only a small crowd showed up for F.o.N.’s performance.

“”It was good, although there weren’t really enough people there yet to give them the credit they deserved,”” said Muir sophomore Puum Sill. “”The drummer kicks ass and I think he’s only like 11.””

Similar sentiments were expressed about Lucy Pearl. The band performed 15 songs, including their Grammy-nominated song, “”I Want to Dance Tonight.””

“”It didn’t seem like there were too many people there at the show,”” said Marshall sophomore Jeff Lee. “”It seemed strange to me since they are pretty well-known and they put on a good show.””

Regardless, the band members themselves said the crowd supported them well, which made it easier to have a good performance.

“”I loved the crowd,”” said Joi, the lead singer for Lucy Pearl. “”Everybody was really cool, especially since most did not know me.””

Lucy Pearl’s set did, however, have some technical difficulties. During a part of their performance the front speakers did not work due to California’s current power shortage.

Even so, Joi said the crowd was not impacted by such problems.

“”I thought the performance was cool,”” she said. “”It was a lot of energy and good. I usually don’t like to play in gymnasiums because the sound is so shitty, but even with the technical difficulties, the crowd was still responsive and they must have heard something they liked.””

In between the sets of Sprung Monkey and Lucy Pearl, each college presented a short skit on stage designed to increase the participation and energy of the audience. Although no college was declared the winner, Mohan said the event, “”Mascot Mayhem,”” accomplished what it was designed to do.

“”It was nice to see some creative, crazy people at UCSD who wanted to entertain the students,”” she said. “”[Each college] had a good time with them and the crowd had a good time right along with them.””

As part of the skits, Muir College Council Chair Cristina Villegas performed onstage as cupid to advertise the upcoming A.S. Loveline event featuring Dr. Drew and Adam Corrola March 7.

For some, this was one of the highlights of the show. “”I want to see that cupid at Loveline right here at RIMAC in her suit,”” said Revelle junior Tarun Bajaj.

However, not everyone was in agreement over the success of this year’s Winterfest.

“”The night as a whole was a let down,”” said Muir sophomore Rob Buckley. “”I wish I went to the library.””

The answer to such complaints may be an increased budget for the festivals staff.

“”The programming staff really can’t go out and get a big name because they are financially limited as to who they can get,”” said Marshall junior Bryan Fisher. “”It would serve everyone’s needs if the school budgeted them more money and they put on a great show. If they do a good job with the money they get now, imagine what would happen with increased funding.””