UCSD Finishes Regular Season on a High Note

Tritons enter CCAA tournament as the third seed after victory against conference foe Cal State San Marcos on Friday.

Photo by Megan Lee
    Photo by Megan Lee

After going 2–0 against Cal State San Marcos and Chico State, the UCSD women’s soccer team continued its hot streak in a rematch against California Collegiate Athletic Association rival Cal State San Marcos with a 2–0 win on Friday night. The Tritons are now 12–5–1 overall and the No. 4 seed heading into the CCAA tournament, while the Cougars fell to 3–9–5 to cap off their season.

Both teams’ defenses held strong as the game remained scoreless for the first 45 minutes. However, while the Tritons were unable to come away with any points, they kept the Cougars on their toes with nine shot attempts against the Cougars’ four. Cal State San Marcos redshirt sophomore goalie Erica Dory was a thorn in the Tritons’ side as she held her ground with five saves in the first period.

The second period was a different story for the Tritons. At the 64-minute mark, UCSD sophomore forward Katie O’Laughlin put the team up with a shot from just outside the penalty area. The goal was her seventh of the season and was assisted by defenders Meghan Berry, a redshirt junior, and true junior Kristen Sampietro. The Tritons strengthened their lead at the 81st minute when their sophomore midfielder Taylor Ramos scored her first goal of the season on a right-footed shot into the left corner off of an assist by freshman forward Mary Reilly.

Other than a missed header by sophomore defender Megan Randig, the Cougars could not match any of the Tritons’ aggression, as they only had four shot attempts in the second period compared to UCSD’s 10. UCSD led the shot count for the entire game, 19 to the Cougars’ eight, as the Cougars were blanked for the fifth-straight game. O’Laughlin and Ramos led the Tritons with four shots each, and the team took a season-high 12 corner kicks.

Thanks to the team’s ball control, UCSD’s senior goalie Kelcie Brodsky didn’t have much work to do; she only needed one save to notch her eighth individual shutout of the season and the 27th of her career.

“We’ve just been getting better and better as the season goes by,” Brodsky told the UCSD Athletics Department. “I see great things for this team.”

Up next, fourth-seed UCSD hosts the fifth-seed Cal Poly Pomona in the first round of the CCAA tournament on Nov. 3. Third-seed Cal State Los Angeles will host sixth-seed Cal State Stanislaus, while top-seed Sonoma State and regular season runner-up Chico State get a first-round bye.