Concert Review: Circa Waves

Photo Courtesy of spindle magazine.com
Photo Courtesy of spindle magazine.com

With their energy, spice and drunken dancing, Circa Waves delivered a sound that gets people jumping, grooving and singing.

Circa Waves. Never heard of them? You need to. They are a group of four from Liverpool, England with a new album that just came out: “Young Chasers.” With frontman Kieran Shudall, guitarist Joe Falconer, drummer Colin Jones and bassist Sam Rourke, these four outdid themselves with a brilliant performance at their concert.
What’s great about concerts is that you do not have to be a pretentious musical snob to appreciate a good concert performance, no matter how fun being a snob is. But when a group can impress you in both worlds? That’s one in a million.

Imagine you are in Britain in 1985. There is a man in tight pants with a handlebar moustache holding a bottomless microphone stand, singing his heart out on stage, encouraging the crowd to interact, sing, and dance with him. This man is Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of Queen, who was known in his performances for encouraging audience members to actively participate while also throwing beer at them.

Now there are four of them on stage with some of the most creative and fun ways to get the audience moving and pumping. Circa Waves truly took full advantage of the small stage. By asking everyone in the audience to get down low, and to jump with the band on three, Shudall was able to get the entire room jumping and dancing when the crowd’s energy started to lull.

All four of the members know how to play their hearts out — with the effect amplified even more when all of them are drunk. But that’s what made them so fun. They did not care about looking good or performing well. They were focused purely on being themselves on stage. Their words got a little slurred while they were talking, but it doesn’t really matter. They’re British. They’re in a band. Girls will love them anyway.

What’s even better than stellar performers is those same performers playing complex, yet inviting, music. The album “Young Chasersis already great as it is, but it sounds perfect when you hear them perform live. Their sound in this album pertains mostly to surf-rock with some indie sprinkled on top, to create a sound that’s fun both for audience members and pretentious critics like the one typing this out right now.

Go buy their album (on vinyl, it sounds great), go buy their concert tickets and let the world know that these guys exist. They’re absolutely (as the English say) brilliant, and everyone should have a chance to experience four Freddie Mercuries on stage.