Making the Move: 2015 Off-Campus Housing Guide

A path within La Jolla Villa Gardens. Photo by Jesus Pacheco.

The UCSD Guardian features seven popular off-campus housing options for students — highlighting prices, utilities and other considerations for those who may be apartment shopping.

Price Key
$ = starting below $1,000
$$ = starting between $1,000 to $1,400
$$$ = starting between $1,500–$1,700
$$$$ = starting at $1,700 or more

Apartments of Villas De Renaissance. Photo by Jesus Pacheco.

Villas of Renaissance
by Rosina Garcia
Copy Editor
Price: $$$$

Located on the east end of Westfield UTC and with a walk fewer than 10-minutes to the mall and Superloop 204 bus stop, Villas of Renaissance provides a convenient and quiet location away from the hub of many of the more popular apartments where UCSD students live. Equipped with a refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher and washer and dryer, as well as plenty of storage space and even air conditioning and heating, the amenities make this complex feel homey as soon as you move in. There are also plenty of activity at the complex: Free movie nights — with popcorn, of course — at the complex’s mini movie theater, four pools and jacuzzis ensure a fun and relaxing living experience. Though the elevators can be jerky at times and the washer and dryer can act temperamental, the maintenance staff responds quickly to requests. One problem students might have is the light carpet, but overall, Villas has served its residents well. While Villas’ rent may seem like it’s a bit pricy, it’s still cheaper than living on campus, and the quiet neighborhood and resort-like feel of the complex make it well worth the price.

Walkway to Verano. Photo by Jesus Pacheco.

Verano
by Kyle Somers
Associate A&E Editor
Price: $$$

In terms of its proximity to everything, the Verano complex has a leg up on many other complexes in the sea of apartments in UTC. Vons and the bus stop are less than a block away, while Ralphs and the rest of La Jolla Village Square are less than half a mile away.  It sits just above a small park and is a five-minute jog from trails in Rose Canyon for anyone who wants to go on a run without staring at sidewalks and apartments the entire time. Plus there are two pools with hot tubs, some grills, small patios in all of the apartments and relatively thick walls, adding up to the potential for throwing a decent house party without the risk of being hassled. The units feel cozy but are spacious enough to accommodate four frugal college students. All of that combined with a lush landscaping job makes Verano one of the better choices in UTC.

La Scala Jesus Pacheco
In front of La Scala apartments. Photo by Jesus Pacheco.

La Scala
by Alvin Chan
Contributing Writer
Price: $$

The La Scala Villas in San Diego are within walking distance to UTC and only a couple minutes away from major bus routes, such as the 201, 202, 30 and 41. There is easy access to the freeway, restaurants, grocery stores as well as banks which are all only a couple of blocks away. Along with indoor laundry rooms, a gym and a pool, La Scala offers plenty of parking, though some spaces may be small. The maintenance staff is friendly, accommodating and fixes problems quickly. There is a computer room which offers free Wi-Fi and printing and which closes at 5:30 p.m. La Scala also offers a spacious hot tub and barbecue pits. A common problem reported by residents is thin walls. Since the complexes are U-shaped, residents frequently tend to hear people outside. If the apartment is across the street, traffic noises may also be a problem. There are no air conditioners in the apartment and many residents report the bathrooms to have a sewage-like smell. Overall though, La Scala offers a good environment for students. Though they may not be the cheapest option, the apartments have the advantage of being conveniently close to shops, plazas and buses.

Outside of Trieste. Photo by Will Parson.

Trieste
by Sam Shapiro
Staff Writer
Price: $$$$

Located within walking distance of UTC, Trieste Apartment Villas provide a safe environment that’s just a short shuttle hop away from campus. Unfortunately for the complex and the “exciting lifestyle filled with a stunning array of urban pleasures” promised by its website, the location is pretty much the only thing to write home about. Plagued with a front office staff whose frequent rent raises and lack of prompt service agitate quite a few tenants, the apartments are characterized not by luxury, but by small rooms and thin walls. While many say that the maintenance staff is friendly and quick to patch up issues, the staff never seems to find time to clean the gym and hot tub, which, while centrally located, have an unsanitary reputation. If you do decide that the location trumps the numerous inconveniences, make sure your contract clearly states which unit you’re moving into, as creaky floors and noise from rooms above can make the small parking spaces the least of your concerns.

La Jolla Garden Villas
by Cassia Pollock
Opinion Editor
Price: $$$$

When gazing out the windows on the east side of the upper-level condos in La Jolla Garden Villas, residents will notice a spectacular skyscraper full of retirement homes towering over their apartment complex. This tall building conveniently blocks the sunset from view and casts a shadow over the entire condo while residents of La Jolla Garden Villas eat dinner on their balconies. The elevator appears to be nice but will occasionally break down, making strange crunching noises as it opens very slowly. After escaping the elevator’s diabolical clutches, residents may feel like going for a dip in the apartment complex’s jacuzzi. This desire will prove fruitless, as the jacuzzi is always kept barely heated at a temperature that is unpleasantly lukewarm. However, these occasional hiccups in maintenance may be overlooked when inside the condo, as residents enjoy a spacious living room with large windows that provide an open, well-lit space. The neighborhood is quiet and antisocial, which makes it a perfect location for students interested in sleeping and studying. It is also located just down the street from the Ralphs shopping complex. If you are fortunate enough to have a roommate who is blessed with incredible interior-design skills, then a satisfying living experience at La Jolla Garden Villas is practically guaranteed.

Outside of Costa Verde apartments. Photo by Jesus Pacheco.

Costa Verde
by Aleksandra Konstantinovic
Editor in Chief
Price: $$$

The quintessential UCSD apartment community, Costa Verde is what happens when everyone decides to move out from the dorms and into off-campus housing. The party atmosphere is somewhat diluted by the fact that Costa Verde is a sprawling community complete with the Village and the Towers, but unfortunately, the noise factor is compounded by the multitude of families that call Costa home. Tenants praise the relatively modern and well-maintained fixtures inside the apartments themselves, which include a washer and dryer in-unit — a welcome change from the dorms. The units are ideal for roommates, who occasionally pack into the loft as well. The facilities and amenities fare worse, with tenants calling attention to the dirty and littered hallways and the very thin walls. The community is located close to shuttle stops and offers a unique bike-rental program that provides bikes for 50 cents an hour. Costa Verde is a convenient choice for UCSD students who want a little more independence from the campus, without sacrificing community and convenience.

Stairway to International Gardens apartments. Photo by Jesus Pacheco.

International Gardens
by Soo Yun Park
Staff Writer
Price: $$$

La Jolla International Gardens claims that tenants will “experience a luxurious lifestyle conveniently located in the heart of UTC” on its website, but residents seem to have mixed feelings concerning these apartments. With bus stops connected to UTC, UCSD located right in front and cheap rent that includes gas, water, sewage and trash services, its prime location and price draw the attention of home seekers. International Gardens also provides amenities such as a cyber cafe that includes free printing (albeit with early closing hours), a gym said to be smaller than how pictures may imply and a heated pool and spa right next to a sandy volleyball court which may not always be clean. The apartment complex itself is quite spacious and maintenance is said to be fairly quick when problems arise. Some downsides that residents notice are its extremely thin walls and its limited parking space for guests. All in all, as long as you don’t mind a somewhat noisy environment and some rude management, La Jolla International Gardens would be a comfortable living space for college students.