Track and Field Sets Records at Three Meets

Tritons split up to compete in Mt. SAC Relays, California Invite, Soka Peace Invite

13679855544_70a77ebe9d_oNN
    Photo by Nhan Nguyen/Guardian File

The UCSD track and field team had yet another record-setting week this Wednesday through Saturday at the California Invitational, the Mt. San Antonio College Relays and the Soka Peace Invitational. By the end of the trio of meets, the Tritons broke the men’s 200-meter school record and came within 0.13 seconds of breaking the men’s 1500-meter record.California Invitational, April 16 to April 17: Three members of the track and field squad competed in the California Invitational, two of whom reached provisional qualifying marks. Junior Veronica Bradley tied for 18th place in the heptathlon with a score of 4,618 points, over 200 points above the NCAA provisional mark. Bradley is now the fifth-highest scorer in UCSD’s program history.

Redshirt freshman decathlon Dan Golubovic scored 6,720 points in the B flight, 500 points above the provisional qualifier, and won his flight. He now holds the third best mark in UCSD’s history. Freshman Casey Buck finished 40th in the heptathlon with 3,942 points and is now ninth overall in program history.

“The conditions were perfect, and we competed well,” UCSD men’s coach Tony Salerno said. “This was a great confidence builder with conference [championships] only days away.”

Mt. SAC Relays, April 17 to April 18: At the Mt. SAC Relays, which only the distance portion of the team attended, junior distance Carlos Bojorquez came within 0.13 seconds of setting the UCSD men’s 1500-meter record. His time of 3 minutes, 50.16 seconds earned him fourth in his heat and 31st overall. Two other men’s distance runners, junior Tanner Collins and sophomore Tareq Alwafai, posted times under the NCAA provisional mark in the men’s 5000-meter run at 14:27.19 and 14:31.88, respectively.

Sophomore distance Scott Acton also reached a provisional time in the men’s 10,000-meter. His time of 30:51.86 was not only good enough to reach the provisional qualifier for the NCAA championship, but also earned him the fourth-best time in UCSD history.

On the women’s side, sophomores distance Paige Hughes and Chandler Colquitt joined the ranks of those reaching personal bests this weekend, setting them in the women’s 10,000-meter run. Hughes’s time of 37:03.67 beat her best time, which was set several weeks ago in La Jolla at the Cal-Nevada Championship. Colquitt ran the race with a total time of 37:38.85, earning the seventh best time in program history.

“We had a great number of seasonal bests and lifetime personal records today,” Salerno said about the meets.

Soka Peace Invitational, April 18: At Soka, junior sprints Keith Rose broke the men’s 200-meter school record, set by him a year previously, with his impressive time of 21.51 seconds. Rose’s time is the third this season to set a school record.

The whole track and field squad now looks to come together to defend its home track at the Triton Invitational this Friday, April 25 and Saturday, April 26. Events will commence on the Triton Track & Field Stadium at 10 a.m. on Friday.