Carol Padden Named New Vice Chancellor EDI

UCSD professor of communication Carol Padden was named Interim Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion on Jan. 6, following the departure of previous VC-EDI Linda S. Greene on Dec. 31.

Greene’s departure was announced on Dec. 6, returning to her position as Evjue-Bascom Professor of Law at University of Wisconsin-Madison after acting as UCSD’s first ever VC-EDI for nearly one year.

Administrators in the Office of the Chancellor and Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs appointed Padden in hopes of continuing Greene’s work to apply strategic campuswide plans for faculty equity and diversity.

“I’m looking forward to continuing the work that Linda Greene began,” Padden said. “With the assistance of the excellent staff in the VC-EDI office, we will continue to play a role in UC San Diego’s efforts to be an engine of opportunity for our community.”

Padden will also work alongside Student Affairs to promote diversity awareness and will work to convert the Raza Resource Centro student center — involved in supporting and providing resources for UCSD’s Chicano and Latino population — into a Campus Community Center.