Women's Basketball Splits the Weekend

Though it took over a month, junior point guard Maya Fok’s teammates finally delivered her birthday present.

Lyon Liew

“”We asked her what she wanted,”” said senior forward Genevieve Ruvald. “”She said ‘to beat Davis.'””

Last Saturday night at RIMAC Arena, the Tritons did just that, dominating the Aggies en route to a 63-44 victory. The win evened UCSD’s conference record at 7-7 and tied them with Davis in league competition.

“”We didn’t just beat them, we annihilated them”” Fok said. “”This is the happiest I’ve ever been.””

Lyon Liew

Fok, who played for Davis last year, was instrumental for the Tritons’ win, dishing out eight assists along with eight points and four steals. Ruvald was on fire the whole game, shooting a blistering 7-16 from the field, including 3-6 from downtown, to lead all scorers with 19 points.

The game began with strong defensive efforts from both teams, but UCSD finally got on the board with a jumper from the free throw line by Ruvald and two baskets by sophomore guard Nicholle Bromley.

It went back and forth for most of the first half, until UCSD started to pull away with a few minutes left. Ruvald made a three-pointer, and the Triton’s defense stifled the Aggies offense. At the half, UCSD was sitting on the happy end of a 30-21 score.

However, the Tritons were not satisfied with a nine-point lead, and they opened the second half with a bucket from senior forward Ashley Kokjohn and began to lay it on.

UCSD continued to command the game offensively, easily bypassing Davis’ half-court press, and defensively, shutting down the Aggie offense with an impressive 2-3 zone setup.

As Davis fell further and further behind, the displeased Davis pep band attempted to rattle Fok at the free throw line, chanting “”You’re not an Aggie.”” However, she effectively silenced them by sinking both shots to push the score to 45-27.

The ball continued to bounce the UCSD’s way, as the Tritons shot an astounding 42.3 percent from the field in the second half while holding the Aggies to 25.0 percent.

In the end, UCSD had humiliated Davis to the tune of a 19-point victory, 63-44.

Fok remarked, “”Everyone on this team stepped it up and we did what we needed to win.””

Ruvald sited a difference in the teams.

“”They were playing not to lose, and we were playing to win,”” she said.

The Tritons contained a Davis offense that had three Aggie starters averaging over 10 points per game and all five starters over nine points per game, but this contest was another story.

“”Every player on their team had a strength, which we took away.”” Ruvald said.

The Aggies’ leading scorer was 6-foot-4-inch junior center Janae Henning with 10 points, followed by guard Shea Purkiss with eight points.

This defensive effort was partly due to UCSD’s extensive preparation, which included analyzing three of Davis’ game tapes.

“”We knew what they were going to do before they did,”” Fok said.

The determination of the Tritons was also a factor.

“”They outsized us in every position”” Fok said. “”And we probably outrebounded them.””

As a matter of fact they did, 36-33. UCSD also beat the Aggies in assists, three-pointers, steals and free throws. For Fok, this was the best revenge she could have.

“”This is even better [than I imagined],”” she said. “”There’s no words to describe what I’m feeling.””

Well, it’s a birthday present, and it sure beats that scratchy woolen sweater from Aunt Gertrude.