Is subscription culture getting out of hand?

Art by Nicholas Regli for the UCSD Guardian

Over the last decade, the majority of businesses have transitioned to cashless transactions; however, digital currency translates to a dependence on technology and online banking. Without tangible currency, mindless and wasteful spending has skyrocketed and the subscription model has become ubiquitous across various industries, from streaming services and software to food delivery and fitness. This shift to a subscription-based economy has been heralded as a win-win for businesses and consumers alike, offering predictable revenue streams for companies and user convenience. However, it seems that the consumers may not be benefiting as much as we think.

At its core, the subscription model is economically advantageous for businesses. It transforms sporadic, unpredictable purchases into steady, recurring revenue. This predictability is gold for companies, enabling better financial planning, investment, and growth strategies. For startups and established businesses alike, the allure of a subscription model lies in its ability to foster customer loyalty and generate consistent cash flow, elements crucial for survival and expansion in competitive markets. 

For consumers, recognizing the negative effects of the subscription model requires a deeper understanding of its impact on spending behavior, particularly in the context of digital transactions. This model subtly influences how consumers perceive and engage with their spending. The transition from traditional one-time purchases to a subscription-based approach capitalizes on the less tangible nature of digital payments, which can often lead to increased consumer spending. 

For instance, some studies suggest that people spend more money online than they do with cash, a concept referred to as the “pain of paying.” This idea suggests that paying with cash feels like a tangible loss and causes us to be more cautious about spending. On the other hand, using credit cards or digital payments can feel less immediate and real, so we tend to spend more. Some studies in 2008 support this by showing that people who use credit cards will often spend more because they do not fully grasp the consequences of their actions. 

This problem worsens in the context of subscription services, where consumers typically forget their subscriptions due to automated payments and the lack of physical monetary spending with each renewal. Subscriptions tend to leverage the psychological principle of “set it and forget it.” This aspect is particularly beneficial for companies as it reduces churn rates and increases customer lifetime value while allowing targeted marketing that further enhances profitability. However, this negatively impacts the consumers and it is easy for companies to raise prices without us fully realizing it. For example, a study conducted by the digital services firm West Monroe in 2021 found that the average person unconsciously spends $273 every month on these kinds of payments, which has increased by 15% from 2018. Furthermore, subscription culture can lead to a phenomenon known as “subscription fatigue,” where individuals become overwhelmed by the sheer number of ongoing subscriptions they manage, leading to financial strain and the accumulation of small monthly fees.

For college students, subscription culture can pose a significant financial risk. Most companies offer special rates for college students. From Netflix to Doordash and the infamous Chegg, students tend to find themselves entangled in multiple subscriptions. In the quest for quick answers or study aids, students might impulsively subscribe to educational websites or platforms before forgetting to cancel a free trial or temporary subscription. As a result, students can end up paying recurring fees for services they no longer actively use, unnecessarily draining limited financial resources. This scenario underscores the subtle yet pervasive financial impact of subscription models on students, emphasizing the importance of vigilance in managing digital subscriptions.

Subscription culture has reshaped consumer behavior and financial habits with a blend of convenience and continuous access. Although these services offer a steady revenue model for businesses, they pose a risk of unnoticed financial drain, especially for people with budget constraints. The solution lies in users’ vigilantly managing subscriptions and ensuring that their chosen services provide ongoing value rather than serving as a silent financial strain. As we navigate this subscription-dominated landscape, striking a balance between convenience and financial mindfulness becomes essential for safeguarding our economic well-being.