Pull on Your Designer Bootstraps to Get Ready

This particular year was one with three EICs and the first actual election since the 2009–2010 school year that put me in the position to write this year’s soapbox. We lived quarter to quarter, but it really felt like we were living Wednesdays to Sundays. 

When September rolls around, each EIC pulls themselves up by their bootstraps (Steve Madden in my case) and attempts to put some kind of metaphorical Band-Aid on the problems of the Guardian, but any fix to any problem is temporary due to frequent turnover.

Every four years, there is a brand new staff with brand new ideas. I’m sure the editors of four years ago never imagined the Guardian would be home to a blatantly honest sex column or a section devoted solely to the fun stuff. (Lifestyle, I’m looking at you). But my generation of editors has brought those ideas forth, and they’ve flourished. And in four years, or even just one after I graduate, the Guardian may have a completely different role on campus. As much as I’d like to see what happens to the newspaper when I’m an alum, it’s this upcoming year that keeps me thinking at night. 

In addition to having three EICs, this year has also set the record for the youngest editorial staff in our history (that’s an assumption but a valid one at that). Since several of our major editors are freshman, it’s been a fast-paced ride of training, learning and producing (with few breaks in between). With so many fresh faces in the office and so many of our beloved seniors graduating, we have had to set a new tone in the office. 

Maybe it’s precedent, a different mix of people or the addition of Party City decorations to the office, but the mood of the office has changed to reflect the positive energy that comes with a youthful new staff. With fall recruitment coming up, this may even change once again. I would like to personally thank the new editors for getting their footing on staff so quickly and gracefully. The hardest part is over. 

So now it’s time for summer, which for Guardian editors means internships, a bit of fun and numerous Skype meetings to discuss the year ahead. Because whether we want to admit it or not, the Guardian staff is primarily comprised of chronic workaholics in denial. 

You may shake your head now, but just wait until the Student Survival Guide is finished which is when the summer lull rolls around.

For those of us graduating next year, we only have 61 more issues to figure out our soon-to-be residual feelings about our time at UCSD and the Guardian. This simultaneously feels like too much and too little time. Maybe we’ll have it figured out by then. But then again, maybe not.