Interstate 5 May Add Two Lanes Each Way

The proposal, called the North Coast Corridor Program, includes various renovations regarding rail, highway, environmental and coastal access improvements. It was reopened on March 1 for a 60-day review open to public feedback. According to the La Jolla Light, there have been two public meetings scheduled by Caltrans and the San Diego Association of Governments.

“The NCC Program represents a unique opportunity to provide a package of transportation improvements while protecting and restoring coastal habitats throughout the corridor,” officials said on their website, keepsandiegomoving.com.

One aspect of the proposal is to widen the I-5 freeway from La Jolla Village Drive to Harbor Drive in Oceanside. This would include a two-lane expansion in each direction for the tollway-carpool expressway, and merging or exit lanes and ramps would be built and improved. Along with highways, the train system used by Coaster and Amtrak will be improved by adding a second track along the whole coast, speeding up travel time for train passengers.

Other enhancements include improving the corridor’s six lagoons and implementing a 27-mile North Coast Bike Trail and pedestrian paths to allow easier coastal access. These proposals all take into consideration the expected sea level rise in the future, as many of the current infrastructures are considerably close to sea level.

The overall blueprint of proposals is named the Public Works Plan/Transportation and Resource Enhancement Program. The NCC Program costs $6.5 billion and was first brought up in 2010. If passed by the California Coastal Commission, construction would take place throughout 2040.

Discussion is open to the public on April 3 at the La Jolla Country Day School and April 4 at the Carlsbad Senior Center. Review is also open to be submitted through email or mail to Caltrans.

$2515
$5000