Currents

? Officials have fined UCSD Medical Center $75,000 for failing to ensure the health and safety of an obese patient who refused to leave an emergency room in 2010. UCSD was one of 13 California hospitals to receive a fine last week.

? UCSD alumni Ira Rubenstein, who is vice president of 20th Century Fox, and actor James Avery, will be among the speakers who will address graduates at the nine commencement ceremonies later this month. In total, there will be 11 ceremonies this year.

? A bomb squad that had been called in to a construction site near UCSD’s Thornton Hospital last week determined that a piece of corroded military weaponry, possibly a hand grenade, was harmless. The device was safely removed. 

? A 55-year-old San Diego woman, believed to have shot her teenage daughter and husband was arrested in the San Carlos neighborhood on Saturday.

? San Diego teenager Snigdha Nandipati won the 85th Annual Scripps National Spelling Bee last week. The 14-year-old won the contest by correctly spelling “guetapens.” 

? A May 31 fire in a Rancho Santa Fe home has caused an estimated $800,000 in damage.

? A parolee who attempted to board a flight at San Diego International Airport is behind bars after a flight attendant noticed an extra passenger on the Los Angeles-bound flight.

? The California Citizens Compensation Commission voted this week to cut the salaries of top state government officials by 5 percent.

? A new public opinion poll shows that more than half of Californians oppose plans for a high speed rail plan from San Francisco to the Los Angeles area.

? A Malibu teacher was accused last week of citing the 2011 film “Bridesmaids” before slapping a student several times for forgetting her homework.

? State legislators passed a bill last week that calls for stronger regulation of medical marijuana dispensaries. 

$2515
$5000