Currents

? The UC Haiti Initiative will host a free film screening of the documentary “Haiti: Where Did the Money Go?” tonight at 6:30 p.m. in the Bear Room at Price Center West. A question-and-answer session with film director Michele Mitchell will follow the screening.

? Chemistry and biochemistry graduate student Benjamin Madej will receive a $25,000 scholarship through the NVIDIA Graduate Fellowship Program to use toward his research in molecular dynamics graphics processing unit computing.

? UCSD psychologist Karen Pierce was named a candidate for TIME Magazine’s 2012 Top 100. Pierce was recognized for her work in early autism detection that could help children avoid developing severe behavioral and cognitive problems associated with the disorder.

? Traffic was backed up three miles on the southbound Interstate 5 from La Jolla Village Drive due to the university’s Triton Day held on April 7.
? An 18-year-old from Escondido died of a gunshot wound April 7. Investigators are trying to identify the circumstances under which she had been shot.

? Approximately 200 people attended a vigil held at the Santana High School in Santee April 7 to pay respects for teenage car crash victims. Two teenagers were killed and three were injured in a freeway racing incident on April 4.

? A man described as white, 30 to 40 years old, wearing a blond wig and carrying a skateboard, attempted to rob a Wells Fargo bank in La Jolla around 1:30 p.m. on April 7. According to police officer Frank Cali, the man handed a teller a demand note but later left with no money.

? Los Angeles police are searching for a suspect who punched two women in Little Tokyo while robbing a store on April 6. The suspect, described as a 5-foot-10 Latino man, punched two employees in the face before emptying the cash register. 

? Frederick Martin, 28, of Inglewood was fatally shot April 3 after using his body to shield his 8-year-old son. 

The print version of “Currents” was improperly attributed to Zev Hurwitz. The online version has been correctly attributed to Nicole Chan 

$2515
$5000