Time for Divestment, UCAB Resolutions at Next Meeting

Fred Qafiti and Samera Yousef of Students for Justice in Palestine presented the annual “divestment proposal” to council.

The proposal calls for the University of California to divest from General Electric and Northrop Grumman, since those companies manufacture parts for helicopters used in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. This issue has been brought to council every year since 2009.

“Last year, we were so close to getting something passed, but a few members of the opposition opposed [the proposal] and so it was scrapped,” Qafiti said. “It is highly unrealistic to think that everyone’s prerequisites can be met before the resolution can be passed.”

Tritons for Israel President Daniel Friedman said he was hopeful that a compromise would be reached.

“We can move for a dialogue and see the conversation start right here, right now, and find a solution that doesn’t offend either side,” he said. “I would be damned if this is my last year and we can’t find some way to fix our mistakes.”

Council will vote on the proposal during the Feb. 29 council meeting if a council member decides to sponsor the proposal.

AVP of Academic Affairs Mac Zilber will be stepping down from his role at the end of the quarter due to early graduation. Council was sad to see Zilber leave, but welcomed Sammy Chang as the interim AVP of Academic Affairs.

AVP of College Affairs Leonard Bobbit reminded council three times that Council Mixer will be on Monday.

“There will be free food,” he said. “Delicious food.”

Muir Senator Leah Wong was late to the meeting today because she was filming UCSD’s segment of “Shit Broke UC Students Say” YouTube video. I’m hoping that one goes viral.

Congratulations to Advocate General Courtney Hill for receiving the distinguishing Councilmember of the Week recognition.

She high-fived Council to the “Party Rock Anthem.”

University Centers Advisory Board Chair Nicole Metildi brought a University Centers Referendum before council, opening up a heated debate.

“I don’t know why anyone would be worried about extra eyes on their budget,” Engineering Senator Parminder Sandhu said. “If they continue to do their jobs, [the proposed A.S. oversight] shouldn’t cause conflict.”

Council tabled the referendum until next week.

$2515
$5000