A.S. Council’s Public Meeting Draws Hungry Crowds

Like Fall Quarter’s public meeting, most of the members of the public attended for an attendance competition between the college councils.
“This is my first time; I’ve never been to an A.S. meeting before,” Eleanor Roosevelt college junior Julie Hoang said. “I’m here to support ERC and the ERC senators.”
However, there were a few members of the public who were not affiliated with college councils. Like Fall Quarter’s meeting, these members came for one reason: food.
“I was doing homework and some guy told me there was food, so that’s why I’m here,” Revelle college junior James Kuo said.
Associate Vice President of Athletic Relations Aurora Lopez is psyched about Spirit Night, which is happening this Friday. Students who attend Spirit Night wearing face paint will receive free foam fingers.
According to Associate Vice President of Student Services Leigh Mason, the condom machines in Price Center have been restocked. Students can now continue to buy and use them as needed.
Vice President of Student Life Meredith Madnick awarded Muir Senator Leah Wong her belated Council Member of the Week sash as well as this week’s Council Member of the Week Roosevelt Senator Baldeep Dhaliwal. Congratulations on winning such a prestigious award.
“If you ever want to nominate someone for Council Member of the Week, let me know,” Madnick urged council. “I only get to see so much and I want to make sure whoever is working hard is getting recognized.”
Vice President of External Affairs Samer Naji introduced a resolution in support of the March 1 Day of Action. While most of council supported the idea, not everyone was supportive of the language.
“The March 1 protest is going to happen anyway,” Associate Vice President of College Affairs Leonard Bobbitt said. “Even if A.S. doesn’t endorse it, you can still plan the event. I think ultimately we will endorse it, but [the resolution] needs some development.”
Council decided it would be best to vote again next week so that the language of the resolution would have a chance to develop.
“We all talked about Samer’s proposal and were critical of it, but none of you said that you would sit down and hash it out with him,” Roosevelt Senator Jackie Clavin said. “These are the things we should be taking a stance on and we should all be willing to help.”
Sixth College Senator Cody Marshall discussed his senator project, the Division I Speed Dating event. During this event, up to 350 students will be able to sit with A.S. Council and discuss the Division I referendum over free pizza. Hopefully, the attendance for free pizza will be even higher than it was for Wednesday night’s free cheese balls.

$2515
$5000