Council Seeks Two New Members

Swerhone resigned from office after the Nov. 30 meeting, during which council passed the referendum allowing students to vote on a possible $165 per-quarter student fee increase to move UCSD into Division-I athletics. 

“I am so deeply disappointed in all of you,” Swerhone wrote in her resignation letter to the A.S. Council listserv. “That was one of the most disgusting displays of mindless group-think I’ve ever seen.” 

Swerhone said she disapproved with passing of the D-I athletic referendum because students are dropping outschool from not being able to afford to pay their fees. 

“You have successfully made yourselves the council that thought it reasonable to raise student fees during a fiscal crisis for a benefit that you’ll see when no one gives a fuck about where you went for undergrad,” Swerhone said.

According to Swerhone, the referendum would cost an estimated $500 per student per year. 

O’Rear stepped down Nov. 27 due to personal reasons. Castro could not be reached for comment as of press time. A.S. President Alyssa Wing said that, while she could not speak about the specific positions, resolutions are common in student government. 

Romero, O’Rear’s replacement as Speaker, said that there “is not more added responsibility.” 

According to Romero, the Speaker of the House is responsible for running a speakers list and enforcing Robert’s Rules of Order, which govern how the council interacts. Romero said that the biggest transition would require becoming more familiar with Robert’s Rules. 

Vice President of Finance and Resources Kevin Hoang and Vice President of External Affairs Samer Naji are filling the vacant positions of AVP of Student Orgs and AVP of Local Affairs until replacements can be found. 

A.S. Council started accepting applications for the vacant positions Jan. 10. The filing period for all open positions closed Monday, Jan. 16. A.S. Council started interviewing qualified candidates this week for the two positions.

Speaker of the House and AVP of Local Affairs Ryan O’ Rear declined to comment. Sixth College Council President Kristian Castro could not be reached as of press time.

$2515
$5000