Senator Resigns After Council Passes Division I Referendum

Since Associate Vice President of Local Affairs and council Speaker Ryan O’Rear submitted his formal resignation on Nov. 27, Associate Vice President of Diversity Affairs Jesus Romero stepped up to the mic for the night.

Former Associate Vice President of Local Affairs Aries Yumul urged council to seriously consider the applicants for the position.

Afterward, over 10 constituents addressed council regarding the resolution supporting the Reclaim UC movement.

“We stem from the Occupy movement, but we’re standing against fee increases and police brutality,” Sixth College sophomore Savini Ganhewa explained. “I think we’re all in agreement that we don’t want those fee increases, and Cal States just got a fee increase so we’re next.”

Others put more pressure on council to support the issue.

“I’m here, not to urge or ask, but to demand that you stand in support of the resolution supporting ‘Reclaim UC,’” sociology graduate student Nikolai Smith said. “You [should] do what people in democratic positions are supposed to do, and support your constituents.”

Not all were in support of the resolution, however.

“I am here to remind everyone that the neutrality statement wasn’t about supporting or not supporting history,” Roosevelt College senior student Daniel Friedman said. “The neutrality statement was to say that if it’s going to divide our campus, it’s not really our cause.”

With no objections, the resolution passed.

Nearly the same amount of students spoke regarding the referendum for a $165-per-quarter fee increase for UCSD to move to Divison I athletics.

“I am in support for a move to D-I, but not right now and not on this price tag,” Sixth College senior John Condello said. “We have students dropping out and living out of their cars, and now you’re talking about a referendum.”

Others focused on the positives a D-I atmosphere would bring to UCSD.

“These are really hard decisions, but having a really bomb D-I basketball team, football, soccer, would increase diversity and the campus climate,” Marshall College senior Darryl
Baskerville said.

The referendum passed with an open-ballot vote of 27-1-1, prompting Associate Vice President of Student Orgs Lynne Swerhone to resign.

And, of course, let’s not forget the winner of this week’s prestigious Councilmember of the Week sash and strut, Associate Vice President of Concerts and Events Oliver Zhang! He opted out of a strut in favor of a high-five run around the horseshoe of A.S. Council tables.

Engineering Senator Parminder Sandhu was sad to report that his Engineering-on-a-Stick event, originally scheduled to take place this week, was postponed.

“I cried a lot of tears,” he said. “You cannot see them because they are already shed.”

$2515
$5000