Council Appoints Freshmen, Transfer Senators

The freshmen senators want to focus on uniting the six colleges and ensuring that freshmen have the best college experience they can.

“I decided to apply for the position of freshman senator in an attempt to improve the already-outstanding quality of life students experience here at the University of California, San Diego,” Honrubia said in an email. “During my term, I will do my best to initiate multiple projects that will hopefully inspire school spirit, class unity and community involvement.”

Honrubia suggested that A.S. Council sponsor and set up booths in different areas of campus to help direct new students to their classes during Welcome Week. Wing said this has a lot of potential.

“I liked this because it was doable and unique and would really help with maneuvering around campus,” Wing said.

The new transfer senators want to create an updated, more comprehensive transfer orientation similar to the freshman orientation, instead of one strictly focused on academics.

“One of the projects that I would try to carry on is the change in the format of the orientations held for the transfer students,” Lee said. “It may seem small, but orientations serve as the “first encounter” between the newly admitted students and the school.”

Both of the transfer senators live in the Village. A.S. Council believes that this will be advantageous to their positions.

“[That way,] they can get more transfer involvement and more [transfer] representation in the Village,” Wing said.
“[The Village is] interesting because they have their own location, but aren’t necessarily a ‘college.’”

Due to a high volume of applications — with over 70 freshmen applying for three positions and 20 transfers for two — A.S. Council pre-screened applications for the first time.    

Applicants who did not include a resume or complete the application were disqualified; this narrowed the candidates to 50 freshmen and 15 transfers.

The transfer senators were selected after the first round of interviews, the senators after the second.

$2515
$5000