Much Ado About Hullabaloo — A.S. Revamps Fall Fest This Year

While everyone could agree, I’m sure, that the moment was adorable, many of the council members were caught off-guard — there had been heavy rain falling right before the meeting. Don’t worry, A.S. Council, the picture probably looks great, and all that hair ruffling truly made you guys shine.

Next, A.S. Council continued with everyone’s favorite A.S. segment, Council Member of the Week.

“Today, I will be bestowing the all-too-glittery sash to our AVP of Athletic Relations, Aurora Lopez,” Vice President of Student Life Meredith Madnick said.

Lopez received her award shortly after announcing that after next Friday’s Bear Garden, A.S. Council will be handing out free swim caps to students attending the Men’s Water Polo game. Let’s face it: All sports fans need an official swim cap.

Like all loving families, there was a lot of bickering last night, especially with regards to the new election bylaws. A.S. Council was faced with some philosophical questions: How do you define loitering?

How do you separate Student Organizations and Slates? Is uniform wording necessary to uniform understanding with phrases like “may be,” “shall be,” or “could be?” So many hard decisions were made
that night.

The pressure was just too much for a lot of council members. Many even had to excuse themselves during the discussion. Over an hour later, the new bylaws were set in stone and the Price Center Forum erupted in applause.

Then, keeping the excitement alive, A.S. President Alyssa Wing and A.S. Vice President of Finance Kevin Hoang gave an informational budget presentation. Hoang described the A.S. budget as a big cloud of money, meaning that it’s all one budget instead of an allocated amount for each department.

“So it’s like a cloud, and we make it rain,” Wing said. “I just thought of that just now.”

Sophomores, juniors and seniors might be wondering when the details of Fall Fest will be released. Today, A.S. Associated Vice President of Concerts and Events Oliver Zhang announced that Fall Fest is going to be replaced by a new event called Hullabaloo.

“[A hullabaloo is] a loud noise or clamor,” Zhang explained. “I don’t know [why we chose it], it’s just cute.”

Unlike Fall Fest, which consists of three acts on one stage, Hullabaloo will have a main stage, student organization booths, food trucks and free carnival rides. So, it’s basically like a mini Sun God mixed with Bear Garden and the fair. Hullabaloo indeed.

“[Fall Fest] is an event that needed a new life,” Zheng said.

The teaser trailer for the event will be released this Friday.

The meeting closed shortly after a round of pats on the back for conducting a short, productive meeting. Congratulations, A.S. Council. We are all very proud of you.