Councilmembers May be Impeached Next Week

Four A.S. councilmembers have exceeded the maximum of three unexcused absences per year and are subject to impeachment by A.S. Advocate General David Conant on Wednesday, March 9.

Arts and Humanities Senator Shunya Wade has 19.5 absences, Associate Vice President of Student Organizations Carli Thomas has seven absences and AVP of Enterprise Operations Brian McEuen has six.

To avoid impeachment, councilmembers must excuse their absences by providing proof of excuse, such as a doctor’s note or midterms.

According to Conan, absences occur regularly on A.S. Council. Members may always be excused beforehand, given they provide an reason, such as family emergency or class conflict. They are allowed unlimited excused absences.

Members can also resolve their absences by checking clerical errors. Conant said that the absences must be resolved by today, March 3.

“We want to make sure the people we are recommending for impeachment actually earned the absences,” Conant said.

On March 4, Conant will submit legislation to recommend impeachment. Council will vote on whether to impeach the members next week.

If impeachment, students can apply for vacant positions, which will be processed until Week 2 of Spring Quarter.

“The Office of the President is responsible for putting out an application online on the A.S. website,” Conant said. “They sort through the applicants, and the president establishes a committee to select the applicant. Then, that gets presented to the council.”

“I think a lot of people underestimate the time commitment that being on the council presents — other priorities come up,” Conant said.

A.S. President Wafa Ben Hassine said that if A.S. representatives are guilty of excessive unexcused absences, she will take action although council rarely achieves the 2/3 majority necessary to impeach members.

“We will have to find people to replace them,” she said.

Ben Hassine said councilmembers bear an obligation to attend meetings.

AVP of Student Organizations Carli Thomas said her seven absences are simple errors that need to be cleared.

$2515
$5000