UC System Enrolls Record-Breaking Number of Low-Income Students

This year, the University of California has enrolled the largest number of low-income students in its 142-year history.

Throughout the 10 campuses system-wide, an estimated 39 percent of newly enrolled undergraduates come from low-income families, which is an 8-percent increase from the 2008-09 year, and the largest percentage of low-income students since the university’s establishment.

To be considered a low-income student, parental income must be below $32,800, while medium-low income ranges from $32,801 to $65,600. According to Admissions Director Mae Brown, the Fall 2010 freshman class makes up the largest percentage of low-income students over the past 5 years. Out of a total of 3,947 new freshmen, 2,560 are low-income. Out of 6,507 new students, a total of 2,920 come from low and medium-low income backgrounds.

In addition, 1355 (or 34.3 percent) of new freshmen and 781 (or 30.5 percent) of new transfer students are first-generation college students.

“It’s thrilling to have outreach efforts showing results,” Brown said. “New enrollment is carefully managed to enable campuses to reach their enrollment targets with greater precision while still offering a space to as many deserving students as possible.”

There has also been a total 779-person increase in underrepresented freshmen from last year. This includes 36-percent increase in African-American freshmen, 4.3-percent increase in Mexican Americans, 7.7-percent increase in Latinos and 84.6-percent increase in Native Americans.

Among transfers, there is an 89.1-percent African-American increase, 43.1-increase in Mexican Americans, 52.3 increase in Latinos and 75-percent increase in Native Americans.