Penny Rue Encourages Council, Triton TV Asks for More Money

Hoping for a repeat of last week’s record 42-minute meeting, I took my seat amongst the crowd sitting in on this A.S. Council’s meeting. Do wishes really come true? Tonight, I would find out.

Public input was dominated by a speech from Vice Chancellor Penny Rue, who thanked council for its work on campus.  She urged members to visit the Campus Climate website to stay informed on topics regarding the effort to improve campus climate, and called for the council to become involved in the 50th anniversary events.

Rue also called attention to an initiative coming to campus called the Global Clinton Initiative.  She emphasized how UCSD was chosen out of three other elite California universities to host this initiative, which will invite 1,000 college students from over 80 countries.

A.S. President Wafa Ben Hassine took a part in public input by introducing her staff, which included Michael Bowlus as her External Press Secretary and Elizabeth Garcia as her Chief of Staff.

During a special presentation, Triton Television made a lengthy presentation. To begin the talk, which ultimately ended in a request for more funds, TTV showed highlights of the water polo game last week.

Their two big purchases — equipment and a server to store their production material — would amount to almost $60,000, from andate Reserves. TTV also presented three advisers who they would like to bring on as faculty advisor, business manager and marketing consultant.   One of the ultimate goals of TTV is to become a revenue-making A.S. enterprise rather than an A.S. organization, according to station manager Tom Dadourian.

VP Finance and Resources Andrew Ang made the daunting announcement that next week will be the unveiling of the executive budget. He suggested bringing snacks and a way to stay hydrated (an ominous warning indeed).

AVP Athletic Relations Pauline Nuth announced that there will be a homecoming dance at RIMAC Arena, which will take place on Oct. 23.  One more way to show our school spirit — we’re almost there, UCSD.

AVP Local Affairs Matthew Vu reminded council that Oct. 7 is the nationwide Day of Action.  There is a walkout planned for 11:30 a.m., leading to a meeting at the Silent Tree.

AVP Concerts and Events Brian Wong announced the 2011 Sun God Festival date will be held May 13, the Friday during Week Seven of Spring Quarter. Let the excitement and rumors of potential headliners begin!

Council voted on the proposal that Warren College Senator Maclen Zilber and Transfer Senator Adam Powers brought to council last week regarding amending the constitution to include two transfer senators rather than one. After a surprisingly calm debate regarding the consequences, the amendment was approved. Pending approval by four of the six college councils, two transfer senators will be added to the council roster.

So, I believe my wish did come true. We were out before 9 p.m. However, nothing is free in this world. Budget week, here I come.

$2515
$5000