Art In Action

Erik Jepsen/Guardian

Last Friday, inspired students from across campus came together for the Art in Action festival to demonstrate against discrimination and prejudice. The festival was organized by the UCSD theater department. Though it was largely in reaction to the “Compton Cookout” , according to a member of the vetting committee, Gabriel Lawrence, it functioned as an independent celebration of unique backgrounds, diversity and heritage.

Surges of support came from all over campus — some professors even cancelled classes and offered extra credit. Participating students got the word out through a variety of media, including signage in support of LGBT and civil rights, a live mural creation, spoken-word performances — ­­­even a dance party all held at Mandell Weiss Theatre.

Lawrence estimates that roughly 300 students were in attendance by the end of the evening.

“One of my goals was to have conversations with people across campus about diversity,” Lawrence said. “Regardless of the numbers, to have meaningful conversations like that and know that people were inspired and had a change of heart — that makes the event a success.”